Chapter 68: Be There

Corrie raised her eyebrows and looked at Dawn. That was probably the best they were going to get in terms of Tom agreeing to help them.

Dawn blinked a few times, but said, "We're all meeting at the magic building at seven. That's a little while before sunset. Do you want to meet us at the gate at five of seven or so and we'll take you there?"

Tom raised his eyebrows. "Do you see a clock out here?"

"Uh... meet us at the front gate now?"

Corrie wasn't sure she liked that idea. What would they do with Tom while they waited for seven o'clock? He had always seemed like he wanted to be entertained all the time, preferably by people arguing or having some kind of drama, and they weren't about to produce that. Besides, she didn't think she would be comfortable just having him hang around in their dorm. The last time he'd been on campus, he'd—actually, she wasn't sure what he'd gotten up to. They'd brought him to a party, but that had been the same party where Elrath had spiked Dawn's candy, so Corrie had lost track of Tom.

"I suppose. How many hours is it until seven o'clock?"

Corrie got her phone out of her pocket. It was not quite noon. "A little more than seven."

"That's far too long. Why don't you come here and call me again when time is growing short, and I will meet you at the front gate then?"

"That sounds good," Dawn said. "I'll see you... closer to six-thirty."

"Don't get yourself killed in the meantime," he said dryly, then jumped up and vanished into the trees.

"Oh, good," Corrie said. "I wasn't sure what to do with him while we go talk to Charlie."

Dawn shook her head. "I'm sure he would be fine." But she did not sound confident.

"Charlie next?" Edie asked, turning back toward campus.

Corrie imitated her, and they all headed down the hill. "I guess so. He'll be so disappointed."

"Why?" Dawn asked, grinning. "What did he want earlier, anyway?"

"He just wanted to talk." Corrie rolled her eyes, hoping she wasn't blushing. "But I did say we could hang out later if I had time. And now I'm going to ask not to hang out, but for him to do something for us."

"I'm sure he'll be happy to do it," Edie said. "As long as you're the one asking."

Corrie just shook her head. That might be true, but she wasn't going to admit it to her friends. Charlie was a good guy; he would probably agree to help no matter who asked, just to make sure the killer would be caught. In fact, it would almost be his duty as an RA. He had seemed to admire the way she was working to help the magic professors.

When they reached Gilkey, they went straight to Charlie's room and knocked on the door. He opened it a moment later and grinned when he saw Corrie. "You're—" But then his face fell. "Uh, busy. I guess."

Corrie nodded, trying not to laugh. He'd reacted just as she'd thought he would. "Yeah, sorry. We've come to ask for your help."

"Right now?"

She shook her head. "Later this evening. Seven o'clock and, probably, after it gets dark."

He raised his eyebrows. "Okay, that's kind of cryptic. Why don't you all come in?" He stepped aside, holding the door open.

They entered and waited for him to shut the door. When he had, Corrie explained that they wanted him, and maybe other werewolves if he could get any to come, to be their backup as they tried to catch the killer. "We know who it is and what she wants, and they're setting a trap for her," she explained. "But it's not going to be easy, so we want people who can hold their own against her if we can, in case she gets away from the magic professors."

Charlie crossed his arms over his chest. "You're not going to tell me who or what it is, huh?"

Corrie shook her head. "Not unless you agree to help. We're all meeting up again at seven, so everyone can get all the information then. I told them there was a werewolf on campus, but not who you are."

"Well, of course I'll help. But I'm sure I can't stand up to a faerie on my own, especially a vicious one like that. Did you talk to your dad yet?"

"No, I figured you were the first stop."

"Ask Francis if he can come and bring some others along with him. I'll invite a few others. I'd like to have at least four of us if there are faeries to fight. I'm sure Belinda will come if her parents will let her."

"I'll talk to him," Corrie said, feeling her shoulders relax a little. "But I hope you won't have to fight the faerie. Just... be there."

Charlie smiled at her. "I can definitely do that."