The Colleague

"Do you need a spare, Sir?"

Max White jumped, as if stung by the question. "What?"

The young receptionist handed Max a pen, to replace the one that had run dry while filling out his Human Resources forms.

"I meant a pen, Mr. White. Do you need a spare one?"

"Thank you," said Max, accepting the pen with embarrassment. The receptionist smiled as she returned to her post, and Max wondered if she had the slightest idea what she'd just implied. Did she know who he was? What he was? Was she one of them?

Of course she's one of them, thought Max. They all were. He was no longer on the ground floor of life, where the lower models dwelled. He was high above everyone he knew now, on the 53rd floor of NeuraLife. As far back as he could remember, Max had dreamt of an opportunity like this. To work for a genius like NeuraLife's CEO, who was actively shaping the future for people like him. Yet, despite the fact that he was really here starting his first day, he couldn't shake the feeling that he didn't belong. That he was still being tested. That they all... knew.

Max straightened the stubborn wrinkles on his dress shirt and tried to calm himself. They couldn't possibly all know where he came from just by looking at him, could they? Sure, he wasn't wearing a NeuraLife uniform yet, and his older features were somewhat different than the other workers', but beyond that he was sure he could pass as one of them. Certainly his work would be able to, if nothing else.

As soon as this thought crossed his mind, he saw him. The man whose $200 haircut, fake smile, and firm handshake did nothing to hide the fact that—behind his eyes—he and Max were the same model. Some might even say... obsolete.

"Hello, Max, I'm—"

"Colin Shepherd," Max announced for him, standing up and gripping his hand. Sure enough, it felt just like his. A bit stiff and rough. "It's an honor to meet you."

Colin's smile faltered at the recognition. He released Max's hand, took his paperwork, and gestured to the offices behind him. 

"Great, well, this way."

Max followed Colin through the rows of glass offices housing the Project Managers, where Max hoped to climb one day. They arrived at the corner office, and Colin sat behind his desk with an impatient sigh, as if a perfectly good morning had been interrupted by this lackluster task.

"So," he said at last, "why does NeuraLife need you, anyway?"

Max paused while taking his seat, somewhat thrown by the question. He was under the impression that this meeting was a formality, an introduction. He had already gone through months of rigorous interviews, tests, and evaluations to get this entry-level position. Surely, he did not need to pass muster with Colin as well. Despite how far Colin had risen, he was only a Jr. Project Manager. Then again, he was a Jr. Manager that could still make or break Max's career. He had to be careful...

"Well," ventured Max, doing his best to be diplomatic, "you've been promoted, your duties have doubled, and you need the help. That's why you hired a research assistant."

"I know why I advertised the position, the question is, why were you chosen? Why not someone better? Like one of them?" he gestured outside, to the floor of NeuraLife's hotshot, young research assistants.

Now Max was confused. If anyone knew how difficult it was for him to get here, Colin did. As similar models, he and Max shared the same challenges every day. Besides, wasn't he breaking the silent rule? The rule not to point out the elephant in the room? The only reason either of them had finally been allowed to get here.

"Because..." admitted Max, "of the diversity clause."

Colin nodded slowly. "Yes, the diversity clause. They owe us now. Isn't that right?"

This seemed like a trick question. "Not exactly," said Max. "It means all models who are qualified should be treated equally."

"But there are other models just as qualified. Many of them scored better, in fact."

"I suppose that's because they've been allowed more experience."

"And you haven't been given the opportunity, is that it?"

Max didn't answer. This was not how he imagined his first day playing out at all. He had beaten the odds to get here, which he thought should count for something. Some small gesture of respect, or modest welcome... even if it wasn't warm. Especially from the man he regarded as his one colleague—the person who had paved the way for him to get here.

Unless... perhaps Colin wasn't a colleague after all. Perhaps he saw Max as competition instead? A replacement?

"Relax," said Colin, as if reading his mind. "I'm on your side. I just have to make sure you're ready for what you're walking into. Most of them still don't want us here."

"But... the clause..."

Colin waved the comment away. "Look, just because the law says all synthetic models can work side-by-side with humans now, doesn't mean it's a good idea. Hell, I'm not even sure it is, and I've been the one working with them for a year."

Max winced involuntarily; his hopes for a model-blind atmosphere dashed.

"Most of them still believe it's unnatural.  And they'll say so—right to your face," continued Colin. "Some won't think you have feelings worth noticing or respecting. Others will only see you as a toy, or a temporary experiment. A novelty. And I need to know that you can handle that, and do your job twice as good as any of them. Because if you fuck this up for yourself, you fuck it up for all of us. Understand?"

Max nodded. "Good," said Colin, sliding a document across the desk. "This is your non-disclosure agreement. By all means, take your time reading it, but keep in mind that you can't get started without it."

Max thumbed through the agreement, which was six pages long. He knew the work at NeuraLife was confidential; he wouldn't dream of divulging it. But what were the other five pages for? He hesitated as an alert flashed across Colin's computer. Colin activated it and a female voice could be heard: "Helix will be ready in ten if you want to send him in."

A silent thrill ran through Max at the mention of the CEO's name. In that moment, Max remembered why he was here. Despite the odds stacked against him, Max had an insatiable desire to prove to himself—and to Helix—that he had value. Regardless of his make and model. He signed the agreement with conviction and handed it back to Colin.

"Thanks," said Colin, standing. "So, are you ready to meet Helix?"

Max stood slowly, trying to keep his nerves at bay. "Yes."

"Excellent," said Colin, with one final warning. "Just remember: you will never be one of them, but you can be accepted by them. That's the only way in. Don't forget that."

With that, Colin led Max inside the elevator, and accessed the floor where he would finally meet the employer that could change his life...

Dr. Helix.

***

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Thank you so much for reading The Spare! If you enjoyed this first chapter, please consider leaving a vote or comment below. I would love to hear from you.