The Promotion - Part 1

Two months later, the announcement of Max's promotion left him with mixed emotions. Today would be his final pairing session with Bliss, and if all went well, he would move on to the next phase of his career as a Jr. Project Manager. His rise had been swifter than Colin's, and he was relieved that his time as a research assistant was coming to an end. And yet... he wasn't happy.

For everyone else, the promotion was met with excitement—even a congratulatory cake party. Indeed, the other workers seemed to relish patting themselves on the back for how far they had come in less than two years, having promoted two Spares in their ranks. Hadn't they done well? Weren't they enlightened and tolerant? As Max and Colin were paraded around, forced to acknowledge each other's progress, he realized Colin's congratulations seemed less sincere—more complicated—than the others. It wasn't until Colin's new promotion was announced as well, that Max realized what it was.

"Congratulations," said Max, automatically. "What's the position?"

"Senior Project Manager, once you take over my position." And there it was, behind Colin's eyes, a brief flash of all he had experienced and endured to get this far... and the realization that there was so much further to go. It was a deadness of spirit; the look of a survivor. And behind Max's obligatory "congratulations" was an unspoken, desperate question: What horrors lay beyond? Was the next step up better? Or worse?

"That's awesome," said Max, searching his face. "Best of luck."

"Yeah, thanks, you too." But Colin's eyes held no joy, and Max knew the answer to his question.

With the cake celebration over, it was time for Max's final session, and one more trip up to the executive suite. While the same sense of dread washed over him as he rode the elevator to the top floor, the feeling was now mingled with something else: determination. Max no longer assumed the best of his genius boss; he now assumed the worst. He knew this promotion did not mean a pat on the back or an easy session. For Helix, the occasion called for a final indignity—one last test of her power over him.

For once, Max was right.

"Hello, my successful little Spare," she greeted him. "Did you have a nice party?" She and Bliss were seated on the couch, laying out chem trackers for the session and covering some strange new ones with a handkerchief.

"It was lovely, thank you. Everyone was great."

"It couldn't have been too nice, or you wouldn't have left early," she remarked.

"Aw, give him a break," said Bliss, rising to greet him with an obligatory hug and kiss on the cheek. "He's eager to get started and move up in the world. You gotta admire that."

"Well, don't get too excited," said Helix with a familiar twinkle in her eye; the one Max had come to fear. "Today won't be easy."

"I figured," said Max, determined not to let her see his anxiety. But it was useless. In a few moments she would access his neural-lace, and his brain would be laid bare. Best to start the chemicals now. He reached for a tracker, but Helix intervened.

"Not just yet, we're waiting for one more."

"One more what?"

The sound of the elevator bell answered his question. Glancing out into the hallway, Max was disturbed to see Colin step out of the lift.

"Ah, Colin, come in, my dear," said Helix. "You're right on time." Colin entered the office with an awkward look. He showed none of the surprise that Max did, which meant he'd been aware of this arrangement all day. Helix explained for Max's benefit. "Today, for our final experiment, we are trying a double pairing."