00.

ZERO
'forever'

The 1920's was wild and it's the century when Elijah met Roman Archer in a crowded, darkly lit up bar. They were supposed to simply be strangers passing by but something about the smirk on Roman's lips made the man in a suit freeze in his steps. As the music loudly played and girls in golden dresses danced as if it were their last night on earth, the two made eye contact.

Maybe it was faith that they would end up in each other's arms in a overpriced hotel-room, or maybe not, since Roman was gone the next morning.

Elijah woke up alone in messy sheets with fading love bites and utter confusion as the beautiful boy he'd been with was gone. He wasn't getting coffee or taking a shower, no he had left without leaving a note or anything. And as a supposed heartless man it was strange as Elijah's heart ached for the stranger.

The next night he went to the bar from the day before, in hopes of meeting Roman again. To his dismay, he wasn't there and Elijah left the heavily crowded bar and ventured into the dark streets of New Orleans, alone.

As a fool he came back the next night, hoping the brunette would magically show up. While drinks were spilled and cheers heard Elijah didn't notice the familiar person taking the empty stool besides him at the mahogany bar.
Then the person ordered whiskey and Elijah turned, knowing the voice. A smile was plastered on Roman's lips and Elijah who was always so sure of what to say was speechless.

That night the two were in each other's arms again, clothes where scattered on the floor and the hours before had been a blur. The city traffic was heard but the room seemed eerily quiet.

"Roman?"

The brunette hummed but didn't look up to meet Elijah's eyes as he spoke.

"Will you still be here when I wake up?" The original vampire questioned, his hand tracing patterns on the younger's back. "Can you promise to stay?" He added as he was met with silence. He hated feeling this vulnerable and attached to someone, it wasn't like him.

"I can promise to stay, but only this once. I'm not promising forever." Roman spoke quietly and Elijah nodded softly and wrapped his arms closer around younger one.

Elijah wanted more then one morning with the brunette but for now it was enough. Forever couldn't be compared to some hours and a sunrise but for Elijah it was enough, Roman wouldn't leave and they would wake up together. Only that mattered at the moment.

They woke up together as the sun rose and Roman broke his promise because they spent several mornings together after that. They spent weeks with each other until Elijah woke up without Roman in a lonely bed as he wondered where he was and when he would come back.

Roman was gone and Elijah was left alone with a broken heart. Centuries passed and the two never crossed paths, until a small town and the Petrova doppelgänger drove them back to each other.

Only now, everything was different.