A Sleepless Night

"He left," Beru muses as she steps out of the house.

"Yeah."

"You can stay with us until he comes back. If he comes back at all."

"He will come back," I tell her. "He's a Jedi."

She shakes her head. "Follow me."

She leads me through the house to their small guest room. "I don't suppose you have a change of clothes with you," she asks.

"Always," I answer, "it's in the ship."

"Good, I don't think any of my clothes would fit you." She shrugs her shoulders and pulls a woken blanket over the foot of the bed.

"Thanks for the offer, anyway." I smile and sit down on the bed.

"So, are you joining the family anytime soon?"

"What?"

"Well, it looked like you and him were pretty close." She eyes me suspiciously.

"Anakin and I?"

She nods, and lifts an eyebrow.

"He's a Jedi, Beru. We couldn't even if we wanted to."

"That's never stopped anybody," she argues, turning her back to me.

"Why do people keep saying this to me?"

"Because it's true," Beru says. "I've seen it happen."

I roll my eyes. "Why am I even talking to you about this?"

"Because I'm the only girl here," Beru huffs, "and your boyfriend just sent himself out on a suicide mission."

"He's not my boyfriend," I state, firmly.

Now it's her turn to roll her eyes at me. "Whatever you say, doll."

She leaves the room, closing the door behind her. I fold my arms and pace for a moment, anger and confusion swelling up in me like a peeved off rancor. My hands somehow make their way up to my hair, removing the tight hairpiece and letting it drop to the floor with a thud. My thick, brown hair drops to my shoulders, still tangled in braids and twists, but no longer retaining their shape. Then I comb my fingers through my hair, letting the intricate braids loosen and fall away.

After a moment, I feel much better, no longer angry. I sigh, and head for the door again, knowing I'll have to go get a change of clothes from the ship.

As I leave the house, R2 comes to meet me, trailed by an exasperated droid squawking orders at him.

"R2?" I ask, "what are you doing away from the ship?"

The droid beeps angrily, and shudders with anger.

"Yes, he's going to be ok, R2. Honestly. He'll be back by morning."

R2 bleeps again, still frustrated with me.

"Can we talk about this later, R2? I need to get my suitcase from the ship."