six

— six —

      RHAENYRA STARES DOWN AT JAIME LANNISTER, APPREHENSION BEGINNING TO FILL HER BODY

What in seven hells was she doing? She was going mad, wasn't she? She couldn't do this, she couldn't—No, this is what had to be done. She had to figure this out, and that meant breaking the Lannister Lion out of the dungeon, otherwise she'd be on her own. He was her only key to the past, and her only key to a successful future. So, she takes the keys she stole from the head guard's room and unlocks Jaime's cell.

Jaime stares wide eyed and frozen as she does so, filling her with frustration. Didn't he want freedom? "What are you doing?" He asks incredulously.

She sighs, pulling her cloak tight. "What is my name?" She asks him, prompting his eyebrows to pull together.

"What does th–"

"What is my name, Lannister?"

He stares at her for a moment before speaking again. "Rhaenys Targaryen, first of her name, rightful heir to the Seven Kingdoms," he spouts it off like he's reciting a pledge. He'd said those words before, hadn't he?

Rhaenyra nods, pushing the cell door open. "Alright, now lets go." She gives him no time to respond before she's exiting the dungeons quickly and he's left to scramble after her deep in confusion.

He reaches out and grabs her armor clad wrist. "No!" He whispers, pulling her back into the darkness before she can ascend the stairs. "No, that is not a good enough explanation. What are you doing? I won't leave until you tell me what I'm Seven Hells you think you're doing!"

   She opens her mouth to respond but shuts it quickly and pulls Jaime back into the darkness of a nearby cell as a shadow passes. Faces dangerously close to one another, she whispers harshly, "I'll tell you when we're in the clear, but we aren't so shut your bloody mouth and follow me unless you'd like to lose your head tomorrow like Oberyn plans."

   Jaime freezes and simply nods in response, closing his mouth tightly before moving out of the way of her, letting the dragon go. He'd seen the dangerous look on her face before, right before Rhaegar had marched off to war with Robert Baratheon. They maneuver through the depths of the dungeons, Rhaenys leading the way. She ducks, he ducks, she lightens her steps, he does twice that in order to mask the heaviness of his his body, they move together in sync, careful not to disrupt the rest of the castle.

   They're nearly out and into the gardens when two voices reach their ears. "Down, get down quick." She pulls Jaime aside with her, pressing her body tightly against his behind the nearest pillar.