Chapter 4

It felt like forever had passed before the carriage finally began to slow down, and Charlotte eagerly peeked out the blinds she had drawn over her windows when the sun had begun to rise an hour into her journey from London. After dropping Aunt Florence off at her own residence, the carriage had begun it's two hour long journey to the countryside estate of Avondale. After the debacle with Lionel in the middle of the dancefloor the night before at the Corbet had thoroughly put her off any mood for the rest of the Season, and overnight, Charlotte had instructed her maid to pack her belongings. They had set off in two carriages before dawn had broken.

It was just nearing the time for breakfast in the Avondale manor when Charlotte burst in the house, grinning when she noticed the matching surprised gaze of her brother and their housekeeper.

"I'm home!"

"What are you doing here?" Fabian asked immediately, surprise coloring his words.

Charlotte placed her hands on her waist, mock scowling at him. "Are you not happy to see me back?"

"N-no!" her brother spluttered, but still frowned. "But it's the middle of the Season, I thought you-"

"I've decided I've got no time for the Season this year. Elle's due soon, and someone will have to help her with the Home. Especially when she just hired a new steward."

"Elle will-"

"I'll bring her breakfast tray for her!" Charlotte piped up, grinning as she swept the food laden tray away from Mrs. Mabel with a grin.

"But my Lady-"

Charlotte whisked off before any of them could stop her, quickly ascending the stairs to the third floor where she knew was the bedchamber of the duke and duchess. There, she gave a gentle knock, pushing the door opened and greeting her sister-in-law with a grin. "I'm back, and with breakfast!" Charlotte greeted jovially, laughing when she saw Elle's surprised look. Dressed still in a night rail and tucked in bed, it was obvious Fabian was refusing to let Elle even step foot out of bed. Her hair, now longer and in natural curls, lay messily around her shoulders. She began to sit up, but Charlotte quickly pressed the heavily pregnant duchess back into the pillows propping her up on the bedframe, settling the tray of food next to her.

"Here, breakfast."

"Why are you back, Charlie?" Elle quickly asked, barely noticing the streaming tray of food.

For a brief second, Charlotte considered not telling. Yet Elle was the closest she had to a close friend these days, and the gentle girl from the East End genuinely did care for her, so Charlotte eventually sighed, averting her eyes as she spoke. "I... Fabian told Leo to keep an eye out for me."

Elle's face immediately showed sympathy, as she laid a hand on Charlotte's arm where the younger girl sat on the edge her four-poster bed frame. "I'm sorry your brother is a clueless dimwit. I'll try."

Charlotte laughed, although it sounded hollow to her ears. "It's okay, it's not like Fabian will guess. Besides, if he does, it'd be an even bigger catastrophe." the girl murmured. Elle had guessed her infatuation with Lionel even within the first few months of her marriage, when they had spent copious amounts of time together. Each time Lacey came and she gushed over Lionel being her new and very attentive protector, Elle had noticed the shuttered look that came over Charlotte's features, and had eventually guessed. The younger one barely spoke about it, but it was an unspoken topic between the two.

"What did he do this time?"

"We just... danced."

"He asked?" Elle said in surprise.