Chapter 2

A thin strand of string hangs from a spider web in the corner of the classroom. A spider drops down and transforms into our history teacher, Mr. Harrison.
"Alright class, lets review for the test on friday." He continues, ignoring the chorus of groans that immediately erupts , "Around 500 years ago, there were creatures called..."
I see a hand shoot up in front of me. It was the new kid that I saw earlier.
"Animals."
"Yes! And animals are... well, they're transformations. The only difference is, they don't transform. All of the creatures that humans transform into-cats, lions, fish, bears- they use to each be a separate species."
"So... why are there no animals anymore...?"
This time it is Cara that is called on.
"They went extinct."
"Correct. They were dying out rapidly. So a team of scientists started looking for a solution. A few decades later, they found one."
"The science that they used is called genetics. "
They had the idea to give us-humans-animal DNA. They did this for two reasons. First of all, the most obvious reason, they wanted the animals to live on in humans. Second, it would improve the human race. I would give us new abilities-we would be faster, stronger and stealthier," he explains.
"And..." he smiles, "our transformations are pretty cool.
"Of course, there were some problems with this. This biggest one was the problem of what we would eat. As disgusting as it sounds now, most of what we had eaten around that time had been animals."
Despite the fact that we have gone over this part of our history quite a few times, I am always disgusted that we had ever used other living creatures as a source of food.
"So we developed a food generator. I think you are familiar with these... They use particles in the air and transform them into food. Pretty simple..."
"So... any questions?"
When no one raises their hand he says, "Anyways, turn to page 357..."

Later I wait in line to use the the food generator and ponder over the history lesson. I place my tray under the machine and watch as a salad appears. I go over to the table where Cara and I always sit together. She still doesn't know about my transformation... I place my plate down and transform while she is looking away.
"Um... This seat is saved." I am enjoying this and pretend not to hear her.
"Who are you?"
I am suddenly very interested in a piece of lettuce in my salad.
"You know that it's rude to greet people in transformation form?"
She rolls her eyes. Then she cranes her neck over the crowded table, probably looking for me.
I transform back into my human form and burst out laughing. She stares at me and gasps. I see a look of realization on her face that is soon replaced with an excited grin. She laughs.
"Amy!" She says, "A tiger? That's so cool! Do it again."
I again will myself to transform, and I again have a funny squeezing and expanding feeling.
Instead of becoming a tiger, I begin to shrink. Hally looks at me in puzzlement and shock. I have wings.

Coo...
I am bewildered by the sound that comes out of my mouth, no, my... beak when I try to speak.

Why aren't I a tiger? How can I have more than one transformation? I transform back into a person. She stares at me, startled.

"How did you...Did you just turn into a... pigeon? Did you know that you... That you could...?"
I shake my head.
What just happened?