Chapter 15 Dinner & Skates

I took a nap when I got home. I set an alarm for 5 pm so that I could call mom. I filled her in on the events of the past week including meeting Avi. She was both happy and concerned at the same time. I assured her that nothing crazy was happening and I told her that I would keep her posted. I sent a quick text to Avi. "Hey sweetie, I hope your test went well. I need the address of the roller rink, please. Have fun and I will see you soon. :*"

I took a shower and changed into some dark blue jeans that had a cute design embroidered in silver onto the back pockets, and a heather gray v-neck sweater. I kept it casual by adding my white keds. I left my hair loose to curl around my shoulders. I glanced at the clock and saw that I needed to get moving. I decided to swing by a burger place on the way. I got us each a bacon cheeseburger and a large cheese fry to split. I also got us each a chocolate malt. I got to the roller rink at ten minutes to eight. I gathered our food and headed inside.

When I went in to take my test feeling I was on top of the world. It took me about 45 minutes to finish. I live and breathe music, so most of my classes are actually pretty easy for me, but I still study really hard. Every chance I get. I had just enough time to run home and grab my guitar, and of course, Kevin was home.

"Hey, Avi. Don't you have to work tonight?"

"Yes. I came home for my guitar and some clothes."

When I looked up from shoving clothes in a bag he was standing in my bedroom doorway, with a look that was somewhere between curiosity and disappointment.

"What?"

"Are you serious right now, Avi you just met her." My brother, my keeper. He was always watching over me, trying to keep me from breaking my own heart.

"I know. I am not planning on stay--" His expression shut me up. We both knew better. I run my hand through my hair. "We really like each other. Kevin, you and my mom are in cahoots, aren't you? I bet you talk to her more than I do." Inexplicably, I was starting to get angry. "Just so you know I haven't messed with a girl in pretty close to a year. Not since you know who." I pleaded with my eyes. "That business hurt and you know it. Charlie is different. Very different. I don't need your approval. Stop looking at me like that. Okay, I need your approval. KO, I really really like her. I have never felt like this. Please." I have no idea why it mattered so much to me what Kevin thought of me or her. Nevermind I know. "I need to go now. I'll be late for work."

"Go buy condoms, you idiot," Kevin said as he walked away shaking his head. I threw my shoe down the hall hoping that I would miss his departing form. I missed miserably.

I got to work on time and got situated doing what I do. Of course, Alyson was there and was rather flirty that night. Why did that always happen to me? My potential girlfriend was coming to see me at work and I had to work side by side with the one girl that made me want to run away from her screaming. 'Shit, I didn't call my mom.' I asked if I could take a 15-minute break so I could call her. I had to keep it brief or I would have told her about Charlie. She knew. 'Dammit, Kevin.' I told her that I'd tell her more Sunday when I called again. I looked at the time. And noticed a text from Charlie. I started blushing again. She called me Sweetie. I sent her a quick message back with the address and put my phone in my pocket. I am always missing her texts. It was almost 8. My excitement was mounting.

At the Skating Rink

I looked up from my work as Charlie approached carrying an In-N-Out bag. She was a vision in cute jeans and a grey sweater. I could see more than half the men ogling her as she walked by them. She stepped up to the counter and dropped a beautiful smile on me.

I smiled back at him as I approached the counter. "Dinner time?" He looked so happy to see me and I was just as happy to see him.

I looked over at my boss and he nodded. I took the food and led her to the break room.I gave her a chance to set the drinks down, then I closed the distance between us and pulled her into my arms. I kissed her until I was dizzy then finally let her go.