Childhood

At a young age I lived in a majority white community with barely any people of my color. Since I was a young kid I didn't notice anything. Most young kids treated me like normal. We weren't corrupted yet at the time and were full of innocence. The days of my childhood were all a blur. It honestly went by too fast. I will always miss my childhood full of innocence.

But, as soon as I entered middle school everything had changed. I had been in my own bubble and had no knowledge of the outside world. All I thought was people were always nice all the time. Well in middle school I learned the hard way.

People are assholes. (Sometimes.)

I didn't know of Asian stereotypes and all of a sudden they were shot at me. I felt so pressured because it was the unknown for me. My parents didn't inform me of stereotypes. I had to learn everything on my own. Our family was quite sheltered. I was the oldest and first to enter middle school. I was very surprised at the comments made against me right away.

All these boys continued to place pressure on me saying I was Asian so I had to be the smartest. They only acknowledged my intelligence because of my race. Honestly, it was the worst time of my life. Everywhere I went there were jokes from dogs to Mulan. The sad part is I didn't even bother to tell my parents. I kept it to myself and I didn't tell anybody to stop. In middle school I was afraid to speak out for myself. I didn't want to hurt their feelings or be as mean as they were to me.

So I stayed silent and all that was left was sadness. The anger soon game later, but I felt disgusting. I questioned myself on why I was Asian. It honestly broke me down and I wasn't confident in my own skin color. Hearing those jokes everyday broke me down. I didn't want to go to school at all. It was a really rough year with my grades beginning to deteriorate.

Thankfully, I had my friends who stood by my side. When I couldn't defend myself they spoke out for me. I really appreciated their help and I still do.

I've come to learn that my skin color is quite beautiful and I've learned to love myself. I always stand up for myself now and silence those who make stereotypical or racist comments towards me or my friends.

To all those who feel inferior to stereotypes, don't be. Stand up for yourselves and tell them how beautiful it is to be an individual. To all colored people you're beautiful and you all bring your own individuality.

If you need someone to talk to about this topic please feel free to message me. I've been there and will help you through it.