Chapter 5

"Does that make sense now?" Mike asked.

Eleven stared at the question, "I... think so..."

Mike gave her a patient smile. "It's alright if you don't, I can explain it again."

Eleven shook her head, "No. I can do it."

Once again the question was incorrect and Eleven sighed in frustration.

"Hey," Mike said softly, placing a gentle hand on Eleven's back. "It's alright, This stuff is really difficult."

Hopper nodded in agreement from the counter. "He's right kid. If it was easy I could help you but hell if I know this calculus shit."

"You've already shown me twice."

"Then I'll show a different way. Just because it made sense for me doesn't mean it will for you, everyone learns differently El. We just need to find the best way for you."

Eleven glared down at her worksheet with angry tears in her eyes.

"Besides," Mike spoke softly, "You had to learn a ton of stuff in less than half the time we're given to learn it. You're being way too hard on yourself. Grade ten is a tough year since they introduce a bunch of new material."

Eleven looked up at Mike and nodded, smiling slightly. "Okay, Thanks Mike."

"No problem El," Mike returned her smile before picking up his pencil once again. "Now, let me show you an alternative method."

It didn't take long until Eleven had it down.

~~~

Mike sighed as he leaned over the counter, resting his elbows on it. It had been a slow afternoon, only one older man coming in to pick up flowers for a woman he'd met and was trying to impress. Mike couldn't help but give the man a fond smile. He seemed so excited and hopeful, it was nice. Mike had helped him pick out a bouquet still needing to use the staff book that explained the meaning of different flowers. There were far too many for him to remember and he found a new level of respect for his coworker who knew them all by heart.

Usually, Mike didn't mind slow days. However today he'd forgotten his DM notebook and DM guide so he couldn't work on any campaigns and had already read all the comics he had in his shelf.

Luckily someone entered as if his boredom was so powerful it was drawing people in who had pity for him. Mike instantly perked up and his eyes widened in surprise when none other than Joyce walked in. He wondered if the whole reason the Byers family had been created was to brighten up Mike's life.

"Hello Miss. Byers."

Joyce sent Mike a warm smile. "I didn't know you worked here Mike."

"I've only been here a bit over a month. Something in particular you're looking for?"

"Will's been going on and on about some flowers, oh shoot, just wait... I wrote down the name somewhere..." Joyce muttered as she pulled crumpled papers and receipts out of her pocket.

"Iris' maybe?" Mike asked with a knowing smile.

Joyce snapped her fingers and smiled, "That's it! I'm going out tomorrow to see him for the day. He's real sick."

"What?"

"Didn't tell you either hm?"

"Not a word."

Joyce ran her hands through her hair exasperatedly. "That boy... I only found out because he had a nasty coughing fit when he called the other day." Joyce's hands were shaky and her index finger twitched slightly, telling Mike she was craving a cigarette. "I know that it's probably nothing, but part of me will always worry that..."