8

A week later Marie heard the box coming back up. She'd never experienced it from the Glades point of view so she was kind of excited.

Everyone gathered around the box waiting for it to show the new Greenie. The only reason she wasn't in the Maze was because Minho noticed her slight wincing about her ankle so told her to rest another week.

The box opened and Gally jumped down, a boy cowering in the corner. He had dark hair and a blue shirt.

"Day one Greenie, rise and shine." Gally told the Greenie before helping him out. The Greenie lay on the ground looking around before getting up and sprinted away. Marie rolled her eyes as everyone started laughing and hollering at him. He seemed like he could possibly be a runner, at least for a while when Marie was resting, and so he fell on his face. He fully face planted, causing Marie to laugh loudly.

"Cut him some slack, M, at least he ran." Newt chuckled as he spoke to Marie. She rolled her eyes before they went to stop the Greenie from going into the Maze and trapped him in the pit.

As they waited for Alby to talk to the Greenie, Newt kept charge. Marie got to walk around with him as she didn't want to be alone in the gardens.

Eventually they paired Chuck up with the Greenie, so he could learn a little about the Glade. They tried to keep his knowledge about the Maze to a minimum to start but boy was the Greenie curious. He ended walking off towards the Maze, Marie noticing and followed him slightly, which caused Newt to notice it too.

Marie sighed and picked up her speed as the Greenie got closer to the Maze but Gally beat her to tackling him. She tripped over her own feet, almost falling on her face but Newt quickly helped her stand properly.

They hurriedly told the Greenie to calm down before the Maze doors clunked shut.

Since a new Greenie had arrived they were going to have a bonfire that night. Marie had only been to her bonfire and she didn't like it so much. The main reason being her fear of the Gladers back then.

This time, though, she could acceptably sit by Minho and the runners.

She noticed Newt and the Greenie sitting by a log themselves, just talking. She noticed Newt hand him a drink and chuckled along with Newt as the Greenie spit the drink out on the ground.

Marie was sitting on a log with Minho, he was shuffling his food down as she avoided eating. She wasn't hungry.

"You're not gonna eat?" Minho asked.

"Not really hungry.." She answered quietly.

"What do you mean? You have to eat, Rie." Minho chuckled. He then held out a spoonful of his food to her. She shook her head a little and took a bite.

Meanwhile, over by another log Newt and the Greenie were talking.

"Who's she? Minho's girlfriend? A runner?" Greenie questioned.

"She's a runner. Marie. She came up before you. Our first and only girl. She became a runner by running away from us all the time. She was absolutely terrified of us all, except Minho. She wasn't as scared of him. You see, we only get to keep our names. She got to keep memories of Minho and, apparently, me too. Only brief memories though. It's never enough to get us out." Newt explained.

"So she's Minho's girlfriend?" Greenie asked.

"We don't do romantic relationships in the Glade. If they went wrong the two partners could start putting Gladers against each other. Also, who has time for romance when we need to focus on getting out?" Newt questioned.

"They have got to be a couple, even I can tell that they're dating!" Greenie pointed out to Newt.

"Look, I know that. Don't think I don't. I know that they're dating, we all know. Well, except for Gally but he would lose it if he found out. We're fine with it, though they have to insist that they aren't a thing. If you have a problem you can tell Gally but we would all know who it was, Greenie. Why break apart the one thing they had left from whatever happened before this place? Why break their bond?" Newt looked at the Greenie before sighing.

After a small while of silence, another person sat down next to them.

"Hey Tewie, Greenie." Marie smiled.

"Hey M." Newt replied with a small smile. "How come you ditched Minho?"

"I'm not so hungry but he wants me to eat so my ankle can heal. Not that it affects it so much. I kinda just wanna go to sleep." Marie sighed, resting her head on Newts shoulder.

"You need to eat, Marie." Newt answered.

"Not you too." Marie groaned.

"Go to Fry and get some food." Newt chuckled and the girl sighed before walking off to Frypan.

"What does she mean by needing her ankle to heal?" The Greenie asked Newt.

"You ask a lot of questions." Newt stated. "Anyway, she fell from some ivy inside the Maze. Hobbled back but her ankle was quite messed up. She's been limping like that for a month now. I spoke to the med-jacks and they're not really sure if it'll get much better. She needs to let them have a look at it but she's a little too stubborn for that. I've told her it'll get worse, but she doesn't like sitting around doing nothing." Newt explained.

"You happy?" Marie asked as she sat down again.

"Yes. Now you've gotta eat it as well." Newt instructed. Marie sighed and ate her food, stealing Newts drink too.

"Aye, That was mine!" Newt explained but Marie just shrugged and drank it all in one go.

"That still tastes like klunk. At least it makes me feel a little lighter and less problematic." Marie breathed as she gave the empty glass to Newt.

"C'mon, Greenie, this is your party." Newt told the Greenie, the two exchanged a few more words before getting up and walking off.

Marie stayed put staring at the Maze, hoping to one day either see or remember what was beyond those walls.