MY PRINCE CHARMING

Vandita's place? Tomorrow?" Raman asked her, looking up from his laptop.

"Yes," replied Ishita as she arranged their clothes in the closet. "Actually, Bala jiju has invited some of his old college friends over for dinner tomorrow night. Apparently, they haven't met in ages, and now that they're all in Delhi at the same time, they've decided to meet up."

"That's nice, but why do you have to go there?" He asked, trying to mask his annoyance.

"Because Vandu akka has asked for my help. Besides, she shouldn't be exerting herself at all in this stage of her pregnancy. So I'll go over and give her a hand", she replied.

"Okay, but you don't have to stay over. I'll come and pick you."

"Raman", she tried to explain, "it'll get really late by the time I finish up. I'll come back the morning after."

"That's not a problem," he said, unrelenting, "Just give me a call. I'll come."

It was at such instances that she wished she could read minds, especially her husband's. "Why are you being so unreasonable about this?"

Because I'll miss you.. He thought to himself. "Umm, Ruhi.. she gets really unmanageable when you're not around. And she needs to get ready for school the next day. I won't be able to handle her", he lied.

She sighed in exasperation. "Mummy ji will manage. I've already informed her. And its the weekend, Raman. No school for Ruhi."

"Why can't you just listen to me for once?" He lashed out at her, "I said I'll come by and pick you up."

"And I said I won't come. You can do what you wish about it!" She retorted and stomped out of their room in anger.

There! He had done it again. All he had wanted was to let her know that he wished to spend some moments with her, at least at the end of the day; because the rest of the day, every day, was either spent at work or in catering to the needs of their families. If he told anyone that it had been more than a year to their marriage, and he hadn't even kissed his wife yet, people would call him crazy.Only he knew how he was always in search of an opportunity to let her know how much she meant to him. Instead, he had now picked a fight with her, and upset her for no fault of hers. He groaned inwardly at the thought of how angry his Madrasan would be with him, and how long it would take for her to forgive him this time. 

"Always taunting or speaking in riddles!" She muttered as she picked up the books strewn across the floor in Ruhi's room. "What is his problem anyway? Adamant! Short tempered! Not one sweet word out of his mouth.. I must be a fool to expect an entire I love you' out of him. Raavan Kumar!"

She turned when she heard a giggle, and saw Rinki standing at the door, trying to stifle her laughter. "Sorry bhabhi," she said, when Ishita glared at her. "I just came by to check if Ruhi had taken my earphones."

"They're not here, Rinki. Ruhi is at her paati's place. Maybe she's taken them with her there."

"Oh. No problem. I'll take them from her later. Here, let me help you with this mess", she said as she began putting away the crayons and books lying around. "So bhabhi", she continued as she noticed Ishita's frown, "I assume the colourful expletives were targeted towards Bhai?" Ishita chuckled and replied, "Who else?"

"But you both are really cute, Bhabhi. In fact, I'd be really happy if my future husband and I would be even half as adorable a couple as you both are."

"Careful what you wish for, Rinki. You don't want a Raavan Kumar in your life"

They both burst out laughing at that.