Chapter 2

I stumbled home tired, exhausted, worn out, everything. Then I heard the screams.

"Mum, seriously, you're such a twat sometimes!" Amelia shouted, running down the stairs at rocket speed, ignoring my presence as she skidded to the kitchen, tripping over one of Dominic's rattles.

"Why'd you ever even have that kid? Look at him, he can't even pick his spoon up!" She shrieked, kicking the toy off to the side, jumping when it made a loud thud against the wall. I stalked into the kitchen and watched Amelia growl at Dominic, our toddler of a brother.

I laughed. "Amelia, Mum didn't want to be heartless and have an abortion," I whispered the last word carefully as if Dom would understand somehow. "Cut her some slack. She's forty-two, c'mon now."

Mum ran a wrinkled hand through her roots as she thanked me. I shrugged, right as Amelia scoffed before saying, "It's not my fault you knocked up at thirty-nine and had that. It's like you're punishing Bea and I!"

"Uh, I'm fine with Dominic," I interjected, squeezing one of his chubby cheeks.

"Shut it, Bea." Amelia growled, turning back to Mum in vexation. Once getting into view, she turned her frown upside down and batted her thickly coated eyelashes. "Come on, Mum, it's one party. I'm nineteen, what's the worst that could go wrong?"

"Well," Mum drew a breath. "You could get knocked up like me and end up having a tot. Did you even think of the obvious? A party for Christ's sake! Please, just stay home and babysit your little brother!"

Amelia groaned. She pinched her temple with her thumb and pointer before hopping onto the breakfast bar. "Mum," she tried again. "you can get Alyssa to babysit. It's just two hours. I'll be out by ten and back by twelve. No, a minute before twelve!"

I sauntered away from Dominic and took a seat on the dining room table that connected to the kitchen. I watched them in amusement, occasionally sneaking a few silly faces to Dominic every second, 'cause I love how his booster chair vibrates when he giggles.

I averted my eyes to Mum, who leaned her side onto the counter and closed her eyes in frustration; or annoyance. For me, it'd be out of annoyance. Amelia can be so persistent most- no, all the time. It was a bad habit.

"Amelia, just don't go," I suggested, resting my chin on my palm. "Better safe than sorry. Go bowling with Peter or something, instead, ey? Problem solved!"

"Seriously, shut it, Bea." Amelia warned, narrowing her beady green eyes. I put my hands up in defeat. "Why don't you just get her to babysit? She's a loser, she sits on her arse all day!"

"Hey! I just wanted to come and eat in peace, don't get me involved!" I argued.

I was really, really hungry. Ed didn't give me a lunch break today because apparently, snagging one of his red velvet's should've filled me up enough, but I knew he was just teaching me a lesson.

Prick bosses these days, am I right?

Although the cupcake did satisfy my hunger in the heat of the moment, one wasn't enough. So I took another (don't tell Ed), and shoved that down my throat.

After my stomach processed it, chewed it down to chunks and junk, I had the sudden craving for savory foods rather than sweets. So here I am, home an hour early because I couldn't take the bell dinging and the cash register beeping on an empty stomach.

Even the thought of a stiff plate of microwaved spaghetti or just some cold pizza slices was enough to make my stomach growl. I clutched my gut and patted it down gently to sooth its calls, listening closely as Mum cleared her throat to stop Amelia's whines.