What Lies in Small Dark Spaces

Professor Henry was getting very anxious. There was only one student left to tell their story and then it would be his turn to tell his story. He could not wait to see the looks on their faces when they finally got the surprise he had been waiting to give them. He just had to be patient and let the final student tell his story.My name is Robert and I have a fear of small dark spaces.

A month ago I was visiting my mother in the hospital after she had surgery. Visiting hours had ended and I was leaving to go home. As I went to get in the elevator I pushed the button to go to the first floor. For some strange reason the elevator kept going and went down to the basement. I pushed the button to go up to the first floor, but the elevator would not budge. I pushed the emergency button, but I got no response. As I stood there trying to calm my nerves and figure out what to do the lights in the elevator shut off. 

I stood there starting to panic. I did not like small dark spaces and now I liked them even less. I could not seem to get the elevator to move so I tried to pry the door open. It would not come open no matter how hard I tried. As my fear started to escalate I began to hear voices outside the elevator. As I started to yell at them for help a thought suddenly occurred to me that made my blood run cold. I was in the basement where the morgue was. I hesitated wondering if I wanted to trade the dark elevator for a place where they brought dead people. I knew I had to get out somehow so I yelled as loud as I could. They told me they would have maintenance take a look at the problem and have me out as soon as they could. 

My feet were starting to hurt from standing so long so I decided to sit on the floor of the elevator. After a few minutes of sitting there I did not notice any signs of someone checking the elevator out. Suddenly as if someone had heard me there was an odd scratching noise above my head and then what sounded like something moving on the top of the elevator. I started to feel relief as I thought it was probably the maintenance man fixing the elevator. My relief was short lived when I heard a growling noise that sounded like it was in the elevator with me. Completely freaked out, I tried yelling for someone to help me but there was no response. 

As I steadily tried to yell for help whatever was above me sounded like it was desperately trying to get inside the elevator with me. I do not know what was above me only that it was not human. In time I was scared that it would somehow makes it way through and I would find out what lies in small dark spaces. Just as I was having this thought there was complete silence. I started to feel a little bit better, but then I felt something unknown scrape the back of my neck. I started to scream, I could not turn around to see what was there but I could sure feel it. I just about passed out from the fright of it when suddenly the door opened and an older gentleman was standing outside the elevator. He started to say something to me and then with his face turned up he stood there in shock. It took me a minute, but I turned around. What I saw was a hole in the top of the elevator. 

The police never could identify what had made that hole in the elevator, but told me I was saved in the nick of time. They looked at the back of my neck and they knew that with just a little more time it would have torn me to shreds.As Robert finished his story he could feel the scar at the back of his neck and knew he would never get in another elevator as long as he lived.

Professor Henry congratulated the students on their bravery and told them they only had one story left to get through:his. With that being said he told them to meet him in the classroom the next day at 7 PM. They were wondering why he wanted them to come to class so late and told them that doing it after dark was part of the process of helping them. After a brief hesitation they agreed. Well, I will see you all tomorrow. As they left the classroom ,Professor Henry knew that each and every single one of them would be back tomorrow.