Chapter two

*Harper's POV the next morning*

I woke up the next morning in Phil's arm still. I didn't remember a lot of what happened the night before due to too much drinking. My phone, that was laying on my stomach, was vibrating. I picked it up and looked at my screen. New text message from Richie S. I went to sit up but Phil's arm was still around me. I wiggled free carefully so that I wouldn't wake him. I went into the hallway of the backstage area and read the message.

Harper, from the first moment I saw you I knew you were special. Your performance last night was amazing. I was wondering if maybe you'd like to go out with me sometime. Please call me.

I didn't know what to think. I was trying to process what he said. Was it maybe a drunk text? What do I say back? What if I end up hurting Phil? Oh God, if it wasn't a drunk text how long has he felt like this? My train of thought was derailed when someone came to the doorway where I had been standing. Startled, I looked up to see that it was Jon. I smiled.

"Hey," I said. He smiled back at me.

"Oh hey. Sorry, I startled you. Are you okay hun?"

"Well, uh, yeah. Yeah. I'm good."

"You sure? You can talk to me."

"Okay but uh not here. I don't want Phil to hear."

"You like him a lot huh?" John chuckled. His laugh was soothing and so sweet. I smiled back at him and nodded.

"Can I show you where I like to go to clear my head before a show?" He asked.

"Sure," I replied. He took me by the hand and we walked to a hotel that was nearby. He waved to the manager who was standing at the counter.

"Stay here I'll be right back," Jon said and walked over to the desk. He talked to the manager for a moment or two. It seemed like they were friends. The man handed him something but I couldn't see what it was. He put it in his pocket as he walked back over to me he took my hand and we walked over to the elevator. We went to the top floor and got out.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"You'll see. Don't worry," Jon replied. We walked over to a door. Jon took a key out of his pocket and opened it. It led to a stairwell that just went straight up and to another door. We walked up the stairs and Jon unlocked the second door.

"I'm a friend of the managers. We come here a lot I like coming up here to think. He knows I do this a lot. He told me I can come up here anytime I want to but in return, I have to tell him if I come up with any songs up here." He laughed and opened the door.

"You ready?" He asked. I nodded. He took my hand and lead me through the door. It was pretty amazing. There was something about being away from all the noise of New York but also being able to look over it all that's so relaxing.

"Wow. I can see why you like up here," I smiled as I leaned over the side of the roof and looked down. He laughed and walked to a table that had a few chairs sitting around it and he took a seat.

"Care to have a seat?" He asked. Oh yeah, the text. I forgot. I turned to him and smiled. I walked over to him and pulled out a chair next to him with my phone in my hand.

"So, what's going on hun?" Jon asked in a worried tone.

"Okay, so last night during our intermission Richie came in to talk to Ava. We've seen him a few times so it wasn't like it was a big deal or anything but then he came and talked to me. He's been acting different lately according to Ava. Anyways, he practically begged me for my number. I don't know. I just felt bad for him. I gave it to him. Then this morning I got this." I pulled up the text and showed it to him. He read it and then set my phone face up on the table.

"So what are you going to do?" He asked.

"I don't know. What should I do?"

"I mean it's up to you but whatever you choose you have to be honest with both of them. I'll warn you though Richie can be pretty come and go and Phil can get easily attached. If it were me I'd go out on a date or two with them and see which one you like more. You know, decide who you think is right for you. Like I said though. You need to be honest with both of them. It's better to have them be mad at each other and be fighting over you than them finding out later on and being mad at each other and you."

"What should I say back to Richie?"

"Tell him that you will. Why not? You and Phil aren't all that serious yet. If you don't want to do that though, tell him you'll think about it. The worst that could happen is that you decide later on that you wish you would've done it or maybe you'll be glad you didn't. Either way, you need to talk to Phil about this too."

"Okay, thanks, Jon. You helped me a lot," I got up and hugged him. He smiled and hugged me back. I picked up my phone and called Richie back.

"Hello?" Richie sounded like he was tired.

"Hey, Richie. It's me. Harper. You told me to call. Are you busy?

"Oh, hey Harper. Yeah, I'm free. I was worried that I might've been too forward in the text I sent you."

"No, no not at all. I just wanted a little time to think about it."

"Have you made your mind up yet?"

"Yeah and I think I will. But it's just a first date. We'll see where it goes from there. Okay?"

"Deal."

"Okay. So then I guess we need to figure out where we want to go and what we want to do?"

" I have a few ideas. Let me think. You and the girls are staying home for a while right?"

"Yeah, we're taking a break for a few months."

"Are you doing anything tonight?"

" I don't think so. Uh, Phil and I were talking last night though and he offered to let me come with them on tour for a little while. I think we're leaving tomorrow morning though."

"Phil huh?"

"...yeah. Is that okay?"

"Of course. Are you two...?"

"A thing? No, we're just talking really," I said. As I was talking to Richie I walked over to the edge of the roof. I couldn't stay away from the feeling of being up there. I felt Jon come up behind me and hug me. He pulled me against him and held me. I wanted to turn and kiss him but I knew I couldn't. I had enough guy drama anyways. Richie and I figured out what we were going to do and then we hung up. We decided on going out for a drink and then dinner if we wanted to.

"So all's good?" Jon asked. I nodded then turned to hug him.

"Thank you," I said softly. He smiled and kissed the top of my head.

"Not a problem. So you wanna go grab breakfast for the guys with me?" We pulled away from our hug and I smiled.

"Sure why not," I replied. He took me by the hand again but this time something felt different. A good different though. We walked down the stairs all the way to the ground floor. It was a seven-story building. He gave the keys back to the manager at the front and then we left.