Chapter One

Abigail Montgomery was a failure, or so the giant red 'D' on the top of her latest history exam seemed to dictate.

          It wasn't fair. She spent the entire week studying for the stupid test and this was all she had to show for it. The injustice was enough to make her wonder why she even bothered. Because if you don't get a scholarship you're going to be stuck in this shitty town forever.

          Why was her inner self so much sassier than she was? If only she could channel some of that inner-bitch into the outer world. Then maybe she'd find herself sitting on top every now and then instead of crawling around on the bottom hoping for just a glimpse of how the other half lived.

          Honestly, Abby wanted to crinkle it up and toss it into the nearest trash can, but her teacher was insistent that she have her mother sign it. Abigail wasn't sure what good that was going to do. Her mother didn't care about her grades, or if she turned in her homework on time. All Abby's mother cared about was being bothered, especially by anything having to do with her 'biggest mistake'.

          Abby's mother wasn't one to hold back, especially when she'd had a few drinks in her system – which seemed like all the time these days. She had made it quite clear on several occasions that Abby was the worst thing that had ever happened to her.

          That Abby had ruined her life.

          When she was younger, hearing these things really hurt, after a while Abby developed a skin so thick that she barely felt the sting.

          "Watch it, Montgomery," a voice called out and she stopped just shy of running into her best, and only real friend, Adam. She wasn't sure when exactly they had become friends, but he had been the one constant in her life for as long as she could remember. He was the only one who didn't judge her for having a drunk for a mother, the only one who didn't invite her to birthday parties at the skate rink out of pity, and the only one who didn't tease her behind her back because she lived in a rundown trailer park.

          "Sorry," she said as he fell into step beside her.

          "I know you're a klutz, but that was intense, even for you," he said, peering down at her.

          "I was distracted," she replied, holding up the paper for emphasis. He took it as an invitation to look and pulled it from her hand.

          He took one look and let out a low whistle. "I thought you said you studied?"

          "I did! For hours," she exclaimed. "I don't get it – what am I doing wrong?"

          "Falling asleep on your book and learning through osmosis does not count as studying," he retorted, taking a good look at the paper. "Well, first off your penmanship is horrible... does that say donut?"

          "What?" she said, snatching the paper away from him. "Where?"

          "I'm just teasing," he laughed. "Chill."

          She frowned and punched him in the arm. He staggered to the side, exaggerating the impact. As a result he bumped into a group of passing girls. They shot him a few dirty looks before moving on.

          "Now who's a klutz?" Abby asked, sticking her tongue out at him.

          He rolled his eyes. "Whatever, Abigail, you and I both know you'd win that title hands down."

          Abby shot a glare in his direction. She hated it when he called her that; not Abigail itself, but just that almost mocking tone he used when he did it. He chuckled again and shook his head.