Chapter Six

Abby was afraid to open her eyes.

          A part of her was certain that everything that happened the day before had all been just a dream. She was terrified that when she did finally open her eyes, she would be back in her cramped room, her mother would be passed out on the couch while reruns of I Love Lucy played on the TV, and there would be nothing but stale cereal and expired milk to eat for breakfast.

          You can't stay this way forever, Abby.

           With great reluctance, she opened one eye, and then the other. A feeling of relief swept over her when her gaze settled on the heavy drapes still drawn over the floor to ceiling windows of her hotel room. The bed, which she was convinced must be what clouds felt like, refused to release her from its warm embrace try as she might to roll free.

          Eventually, she gave up, contented in the knowledge that this was her new reality. She spent the next hour or so drifting in and out of sleep, until a soft knock on the door reminded her that she was no alone.

          "Come in," she called out, pushing herself upright just as Vanessa entered the room.

          "Good morning, Abigail," Vanessa declared, smiling brightly. "Are you hungry? I wasn't sure what you liked so I had them prepare a little bit of everything."

          Vanessa waved towards the door and Abby leaned forward to see one of the hotel staff wheeling in a cart. It was covered in various dishes and Abby felt her stomach grumble. A sandwich had been brought up the night before, but Abby had passed out the moment she'd gotten out of the shower. She suddenly felt guilty for having let it go to waste.

          "Just leave it there by the window," Vanessa instructed as she moved towards the very same spot. She threw the drapes open, allowing the early morning light to spill into the room. "We have a busy day ahead of us, Abigail."

          "Thank you," Vanessa said to the maid before handing her a tip and showing her out. Abby slipped from the bed and made her way over to the cart. There were cups of fruit, bowls of oatmeal and various toppings, pancakes, waffles, eggs, so much that Abby wasn't sure what to eat first.

          "Is there something missing?" Vanessa asked, mistaking Abby's hesitation for displeasure.

          "Huh? No, no, this is great, it's perfect," Abby replied. There was more food on this one cart then Abby usually ate in a week. "Are you going to have some?"

          "Me? No, no, I'm not much of a breakfast person," Vanessa replied, "but you go ahead and enjoy yourself."

          Abby nodded and began to pile various things onto an empty plate. Without warning her vision began to blur and she became overwhelmed with emotion.

          "First, we have to do something about your clothes," Vanessa explained, her attention fixed on the tablet in her hand. She didn't see the tears rolling in thin lines down Abby's cheeks. "Something comfortable to wear on the flight and something a bit more formal for your meeting with her grace... Abby? Are you alright? Is something wrong?"

          "N-no," Abby managed at last, swiping at her eyes with the back of her hand. "Everything is perfect."

          "Then why are you crying?" Vanessa asked, her concern genuine. Abby couldn't find the words to explain how she was feeling in that moment. All her life had been one struggle after the next, her only bright spot had been her grandfather. When he passed, she not only lost a friend, but she had lost the only person who had truly cared.