Chapter 60

Sophia

Everything felt complete as we rode back to the castle. Alexander had his arms wrapped around me and my head was on his shoulder. It was perfect. I had never felt so safe, especially after the promise he made me. We got back to the palace too soon and I was a little disappointed that we weren’t alone. More excitement and cheers followed us as we made our way into the palace. Even though nothing had changed in it, court suddenly felt different. I was no longer just a guest here. I was part of the royal family. I would be the next queen of England. Alexander and I were led into a small room to await the arrival of our guests. Apparently it would be improper for us to be the first people to arrive at our wedding party. I became grateful for that ridiculous notion when Alexander and I were left alone.

“We are married.” I giggled. Saying those words felt odd.

“Yes, we are.” Alexander wrapped his arms around my waist. “We are free to do what we please.” He lifted me from my feet and carried me over to the nearby couch. He gently placed my body and sat next to me. Before I had time to process the change in scenery, his lips were in mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him back. I suddenly became frozen.

He pulled away and looked in my eyes. “What’s wrong? Are you all right?”

I covered my face with my hands. “Yes, I am just a little worried.”

He responded immediately. “You are nervous about tonight.” It wasn’t a question, but a statement.

I kept my hands where they were. I felt my cheeks turn red. “I’m not sure what I’m more nervous about- losing my virginity or losing it in front of a dozen high placed members of court?”

He tugged on my hands and I let them drop from my face. “I promised that I would never hurt you and I meant it.” He said as he held my left hand.

I truly believed him and felt so much better. Before we could continue our conversation, a man entered the room to bring us to our reception.

Author's Note- I'm sorry it's so short, but I have two english projects due this week so I'm really busy.