Tree Bros- Tree Sap

Connor and I walk through the familiar yellow field; my hand intertwined with his. A gentle breeze blows through Connor’s fluffy cloud puff he calls hair. I reach up and grab a strand of Connor’s soft hair. “I fucking love your hair.”

“Evan, language! And thank you,” he brushes my hand to make me let go of his hair.

“Everyone else can swear, why can't I?” I stomp like a child.

Connor giggles at my childishness, “You're too precious to swear.”

I pout. Connor wraps his arm around me, but I ignore his efforts to make me smile. He pulls me closer and I can't keep myself together. I lean into his side and smile, I look up and he smiles too.

“I love it when you smile,” I say to him.

“Really?” He tilts his head.

I nod.

“Then I should do more often, I guess.” He looks at me with a huge, sincere smile.

“I love you so much.”

“I know.” He pulls me along to our favorite tree. Yes. We have a favorite tree. He pulls me to his side as soon as we get there. We look over the rolling hills of golden colored grass as every singular blade sways politely in the warm breeze.

“This is so beautiful,” I grab Connors hand.

Connor takes a deep breath and faces me, “Evan, I know I've done some horrible things in the past to you, myself, and others. I didn't know that I could just reach out and somebody would take my hand, but you showed me that! You gave me a chance and took the time understand me when nobody else would. I had grown closer to you more and more untill we became more than just friends. You helped me change, and I still have a ways to go but…” Connor gets down into one knee. He reaches into his sweater pocket and pulls out a velvet box. Tears fill my eyes. “I want to go the rest of the way with you! Evan Hansen, will you marry me?”

I stare at the silver ring dotted with tiny diamonds down the center of it with tears in my eyes. I take a deep, shaky breath and nod profusely, “Yes! Yes I will! I will!”

Connor takes the ring out of the small box and slides it onto my finger. I pull Connor close and our lips collide. He wraps his arms around my waist and takes over the kiss. Once we part, he hugs me tightly.

“I didn't think you'd say yes.” He says with tears streaming down his face

I stroke his wet cheek with my thumb, “Why wouldn't I? I love you, Connor, so very much!”

“I love you too, Evan!”

After a few moments I pipe up, “I would have said yes because, because I wanted to propose, but you beat me to it, so there’s-”

“You wanted to propose? To me?” Connor cuts me off.

I nod, “Yeah. I-I have the ring,” I take the small box I had in my back pocket out and fidget with it in my hands. “You can have it if you want!” I hold out the box for him to take it.

“What were you gonna say?”

“Nothing, just tree sap.”

“Please?”

“What?”

“I want to hear your tree sap proposal,” He gives me an encouraging smile.

“Okay. Uh. C-Connor?”

“Yeah, Evan?”

“Um, we've been together for, for awhile now and I. I love you and I know I say it alot and it must be annoying, but I do! I really, really do! So uh. I want to ask you a question.”

“What is it that you want to ask?”

I take Connor’s hand and get down on one knee. A huge smile spreads across Connor's face. I open the box. “Connor Murphy, will you marry me?” Connor’s eyes widen in awe at the ring. “Oh my god, Evan! This ring is amazing! I… I can't say no!”

I take the emerald ring out of the box and place it on Connor’s finger. I stand up and Connor stares in amazement at his ring.

“I-I thought, since ya know. You were born in May, you would like it?” My heart runs into the walls of my chest with nervousness.

“Like it? Evan, it's amazing!”