12

A knock on the door alerts our attention as we're eating breakfast

A knock on the door alerts our attention as we're eating breakfast. Jughead opens the door and Sheriff Keller walks in. I roll my eyes and go back to my food. 

"Jughead, Stevie, FP." Sheriff Keller walks into the kitchen. "Sorry to bother you." 

Yeah, right. 

Before Keller can even ask what he's going to ask Jughead answers him, "No we don't have Pickens' head, and no we don't know who stole it." 

"Same as the last four times you came by to ask us and our neighbors." Dad says. 

"You know, Sheriff, these visits are starting to feel a lot like harassment. There's absolutely no evidence. Zero proof whatsoever pointing to any particular group of suspects." Jughead says to Sheriff Keller. 

"Well, you did write a scathing article about the General's legacy, which prompted the Southside Serpents to stop by Pickens' Day with an ax to grind." He says very matter-of-factly. 

"I'm actually writing a new article about how you seem to care more about catching a vandal than the Black Hood. Can I get a quote?" Jughead snarks and Dad and I snicker under our breath. 

Sheriff Keller doesn't seem to like Jughead's joke and his face hardens. "I don't understand why you're so concerned anyway. I mean, it's not like a real person was decapitated, it's a statue of a murderer." I say. 

Sheriff Keller sighs, "Let me know if you find anything." He says and walks out the door. 

"We won't." I call behind him as the door shuts. 

"Alright, enough. You two get to school." Dad says and grabs our plates off the table. 

"Later, Dad." I say and grab my bag. He kisses my forehead before I follow Jughead out the door. 

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I'm sitting next to Kevin in the student lounge with my phone in my hands while half listening to Veronica. Since Sweet Pea and I haven't come out with our relationship yet we've been texting each other pretty much non-stop.