o8.all but new

Luke’s only ever been to one football game in his entire life, and as he’s standing there with Cheryl on one side, and Aries on the other, he’s really beginning to regret his decision, because he’s honest to goodness not pictured it like this: crowd of anxious teens roaring in unison, some dance music is blasting through the speakers that surround the place, and really he just didn't expect this.

It’s loud and he feels like he’s on the verge of becoming deaf, and he’s never seen so many of the student body in one place at one time. There’s a few guys with their chests painted in the school colours, and each has an individual letter on his chest (Luke’s sure they've misspelled the word but he’s not about to correct them). Before he knows it Aries is dragging him through the mass of people as he’s trying to listen to what she says, but all he hears are bits and pieces of her fragmented sentences.

He decides he’ll ask what she said once they’re seated.

They find a row nearest (as they can get) to the field, and Luke thinks it’s really convenient that they happen across three open seats. Cheryl is yelling something to Aries and she’s nodding vigorously while yelling equally as loud back. Luke still can’t hear either girl so he spends his time marveling at just how many students there really are. He’s both astounded and taken aback at the sudden realization that okay, maybe he needs to expand his social circle.

There’s a guy who’s waving in Luke’s general direction and he almost mistakes it that, that guy is waving at him, but he saves himself the embarrassment when a girl – who happens to be seated next to him – stands and waves back. Luke takes a seat instead as the two girls continue in whatever conversation is so important to them. Aries is giggling and Cheryl is laughing with her hand over her chest, and Luke is sitting in his seat trying to catch whatever it is that happens to be so funny – he still doesn't hear them.

Luke almost doesn't realize Cheryl is trying to get his attention (he just so happens to look up) and then she’s shouting at him. It’s disorienting and he’s nervous because, what did she say? Luke shrugs in response to her question – or statement he’s not sure – and then she’s stepping past Aries and to Luke.

“I said do you want anything to drink?” She says, and oh. Oh, of course that’s what it was.

He’s wondering what kind of drinks they even serve at a football game. “Sure.” Luke starts but continues with, “but nothing alcoholic.” Because he doesn't want his mum acting suspicious and banning him from ever leaving the house till he’s forty.

“Of course.” Cheryl is answering him with a playful smirk. “But it’d be so much more fun with a few drinks ya know?”

Luke might know if he was one to do stuff like this, but he isn't, so instead of being the odd one out he bites his lip with a hesitant, “okay maybe one drink.” And Cheryl seems all but a little too pleased with that answer, but really what can Luke say?

She’s taking off. Her shirt ridding up and Luke has to look back down at his seat, because he doesn't want to be caught staring or anything. Obviously it’s too late for that as Aries is raising an eyebrow suggestively and he’s finding himself in the middle of blushing again.

“Don’t worry. It’s between us.” Aries winks up at him before she takes her seat.

Luke takes that as his cue to sit as well, and the seats are warm considering the sun is just setting so that the sky is turning a vivid orange, and pinks are settling in with the yellow and it’s all so pretty out. But then there is the glare that reflects off his phone when he brings it up to check. To his surprise his mum has only sent one text in the past three hours he’s been out. ’Be safe’ is all it reads.