Damn, feelings.

One shot dedicated to Rachel. She filled my life with sunshine where before there was only darkness.

The sun was setting over lake lylatt. The show was about to begin.

Red's, oranges, yellows and blues hung in the sky as if frozen during the middle of a complicated dance. The blues darkened to a black behind Max who quietly watched the display, the small waves lapping over his feet. The sun rested just above the horizon for a minute and as it nestled there it was if the whole lake glowed orange. The sun dipped below and was gone for the night. Stars twinkled to Max's rear above the campers' tents and councillors' cabin.

"What a shit show." Max mumbled to himself. He still didn't get it, how could David be so bloody optimistic all the time. He gazed over the lake and saw smoke rising from the far side, beneath a fire burnt; evidence of all the other camps around the lake. Why hadn't he tried to leave again he asked himself. There was no real reason for him to stay, most of the campers were pretty shitty, the food was shitty and the staff was shitty and the scenery. That was the worst of it.

So why hadn't he left?

His two friends, and yes he did consider them his friends would undoubtedly follow him, Neil the nerd and Nikki "Agent of chaos". So he could just leave. He thought back to their last planned escape which left him at the mercy of the wood scouts and Nikki and Neil with the flowers scout. He chuckled for a second remembering Nikki's retelling of how Neil became Neeancy. He thought about the attempt for another minute.

Then it hit him, seeing Nikki being chucked off the boat. Yes it didn't seem much then, in fact he didn't really care at the time, but now seeing all that had past. Spooky Island, the order of the sparrow, that cultist fuck, the baby platypus, parents day and Christmas. He realised he cared for Nikki.

Then thinking back to all those times he came to the conclusion that she cared for him too. 

"Aww shit, I've got feelings for Nikki." He said out loud kicking the cool water with his feet and punching the sand next to him. It was just then he saw Nikki sitting just a metre to his left, she must have sat down next to him whilst he was deep in thought. Nikki looked right at him, as he remembered what he'd just said. He got up to leave, red from embarrassment. 

"Max wait!" Nikki called out. "I... I have feelings for you too." Max stopped and turned around. She walked up to him slowly, placing her arms around him in a hug. Max tensed up. This was unexpected bet he could definitely get used to it, after all it did feel right. He returned the hug.

The shore was silent again as the last reminders of the sun flickered with a rosy tint and more stars burst into life above the dark forest surrounding the lake. The two figures stood in a tight embrace.

In the bushes, not more than thirty metres away hid two others people.

"This is absolutely wunderbar." the smaller one said.

"Yes! Now this! This, is a better love story than twilight." the other replied.