Born to Die

All Hunger Games charactors, ideas and places ect are copyrighted to Suzanne Collins.

I breathed in slowly, drawing in my breath and my eyes locked on the target. As quick as a snake my hand flicked out, the knife slicing through the dummies chest and stabbing it into the wall. The coach walked over to the knife and pulled it out, her mouth fixed into a smirk. "Well, it was a good throw, you powers defiantly improved. But your cut wasn't clean enough Clove. You need a smooth line, not a jagged one." I grimaced in annoyance knowing she was right and stalked over to the rack, selecting my favourite knifes. They were small things, but as sharp as you could get. "Clove," Abrihet smiled. "I think that you need a slightly harder challenge." The corner of my mouth twitched in amusement, but I refused to laugh. I shouldn't be experiencing any emotion during training, none at all. It would only distract me.

I slipped the knives into my belt and followed Abrihet down the corridor, her golden hair swinging behind her. She was everything I wanted to be, everything I would eventually become. She had won the 58th Hunger Games easily, turning on her allies after destroying everyone else. I knew that one day that would be me, killing my way to victory. Finally we reached the end of the corridor. A red ornate door swung open and I stepped into the room. Dotted around me were around 10 targets, all at different heights and various sizes. A little red dot sat in the middle of each one, barley smaller than my thumb. I closed my eyes and counted to ten slowly in my head, before reaching down and flicking my knives left, right and centre. Each seemed to gravitate straight to the centre of the red dot. Decisively I looked up spotting the last target and went to throw my final knife, when I saw a spear glide over my head and into the target, cracking it in two.

Startled I flew around and threw the knife from my hand. It whittled straight over his head, into the wall behind him getting stuck in, still shaking slightly. He glanced up and smirked. "Nice throw, you didn't get me though. You still need to work on your aim slightly." My eyes widened and I almost growled. Who did this idiot think he was, insulting my aim? I had been working for my entire life; my knife throwing was the best in the district. "Well, if someone hadn't interrupted my session, I wouldn't have missed. Now get out please, before you break anything else. This may be my last training day in while, so I don't want to waste it arguing with idiots like you!" His ice blue eyes examined me, taking in my small height and slight weight. "Well then...girl, I guess I will let you carry on training, don't want to you go into the games unprepared," He chuckled darkly and left as my eyes narrowed. "My names not girl, it's Clove!" I yelled at his retreated figure. "Cato." He replied. "See you around."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I yawned and wiped my eyes, my eyesight still slightly bleary from my long sleep. Sighing I pulled off my duvet and walked over to my bathroom. Today was the day for me to finally end the stupid routine of volunteering 18. Today was the day for me to finally prove that I was not just some silly little 15 year old girl training for no reason. Today was my day. Stepping into the shower, I let the water pummel my body, relaxing my muscles and untangling the knots that had formed overnight in my hair. I stepped out, and walked into my room, looking at the reaping outfit that had been left out for me. A white dress was hung on my wardrobe, along with a velvet black box and black sandals. Sighing, I put it on and opened the box, gasping in surprise. In it was black and silver ring and necklace, each in the shape of a snake holding a knife in its mouth. I smiled and kissed the necklace, whispering thanks to Abrihet.

Primed and primped I skipped downstairs, enjoying my moment of peace. I walked into the kitchen where a feast of fruit was laid and saw my parents sitting down, a look of worry etched on their face. "Darling, are you su...sure you want to do this?" my mother stuttered, her voice barely above a whisper. I glowered at her. "I've already told you! I can and I will do this!" She flinched at my harsh tone and looked away. "If you're sure this is what you want," she murmured and for a minute I softened, looking at her frail form. My face hardened and I prowled out of the room, running straight into the person I didn't want to see - my brother.

"Clove!" He shrieked grabbing my, his fingers digging into my shoulder. "Don't do this to me!" I glared and try to wiggle out. "AJ!" I screamed, "Let go of me! Please!" My parents rushed out of the room and tried to pull him back, failing miserably. "I barely survived Clove! Don't do it please!" A nurse rushed out of the room, and thrust a needle into his back. His muscles flopped and relaxed as his eyes closed. My mum looked at me, her features strong for once. "Clove, you've seen what it did to him. Don't let it ruin you. I can't lose another child." I gazed at her and smiled slightly. "I won't. Abrihet has done her job and trained me well. I won't fail" With that I stalked over to the door and slammed it behind me.

As I walked over to my group, I hummed to myself, not being able to contain my excitement. Due to the amount of people going for tribute, there was a rule in the district - first one who called out got the place. I needed to be quick. Glancing through the crowds of the older people, I spotted my old training partner, Ariel. She was 3 years older than me and planned to volunteer this year. Everyone expected her to win, no-one would defy her, her place but I couldn't let her get it. She spotted my dress and her eyes widened in shock as she realised that it was the dress I planned to wear when I was going to volunteer. Her face hardened and her eyes grew more determined.

Slightly wary, I glanced over at the stage and saw the ridiculously dressed woman from the capitol. Her skin was died a pale pink and her hair was one giant cloud of neon yellow, reflecting in the sun. She smiled cheerily at us and tapped the microphone, retreating slightly as it squeaked, silencing the crowd. "Well," She squeaked, her voice high pitched and loud. "Happy Huger Games and may the odds be ever in your favour!" I rolled my eyes. I came here to volunteer, not listen to some pink cartoon relish in her daily 5 minutes in the spotlight. Some one coughed and she glared at them, her hand hovering over the girls glass bowl. The crowd hushed and her hand elegantly dipped into it, drawing out a piece of paper. She smiled a cold smile a leaned forward towards the microphone. I closed my eyes and prayed, prayed to some unnamed God, praying that it wasn't my name on the paper.

"Ariel Ford!" The crowd gasped and Ariel's face fell. Everyone went silent and Ariel began to walk up from the floor, her face defiant, daring some-one to volunteer. I knew what I had to do. I stepped into the path that had be left for her to walk down and looked straight towards the stage. "I volunteer!" I yelled, turning away from Ariel's broken face. The lady smiled and gestured me to walk up. I did and sat down watching the rest of the procedure. A twelve year old boy got chosen but before anyone could even talk, that blonde boy, that total idiot that I had met previously met, Cato volunteered. He walked up smoothly, smiling and winking, acting like a total smarmy git. The crowds in the Capitol would love him. Me? He was already getting on my nerves.

What on earth had I got my self into?