2

Josh's POV

As the car came to a screeching halt I flew out of the door not bothering to slam it behind me. About 20 feet in front of the car was a body. A boy in black skinny jeans and a black sweatshirt lay sprawled, face down on the pavement a pool of blood already forming near his head. My hands were shaking, hell, my whole body was shaking as I reached into my pocket to find my phone. After three failed attempts to correctly dial 911, I finally hit call.

"Hello, this is 911. What is your emergency?" A ladies voice chimed over the phone, way to cheerfully for the situation.

"Um... Hi, ya. I hit someone. A boy. There's blood. He needs help." I stammered still glancing at the growing puddle of liquid surrounding his head and now stomach as well.

"Sir, could you please give us a location!" I heard her ask. But it was faint, like a voice you hear when you're half asleep. I was too busy watching the crimson pool around the boy in black. I had done this. I might've just killed someone and all because I was angry over my fucking ex who was an ass to begin with I was just to blind to notice.

"Sir!" Said a voice jerking me back to reality. "Could you please give me your location." I turned a circle in a frantic search for a street sign. I didn't find one but remembered that I was standing by a park. I strained my eyes to see the medium sized lettering on the park sign. Malark Park. I nearly laughed before remembering the boy lying on the hard pavement 5 feet from where was standing.

"Sir?" The voice said again more urgently. "Are you still there?"

"Yes, yes." I stuttered. "Malark Park. I'm at Malark Park!"

"Alright. Thank you, we will be sending the paramedics and police. Would you like me to stay on the line?"

"No." I remarked probably a little too aggressively. "I mean no I'm good. Thank you." I muttered and quickly hung up.

As I brought my gaze from my shoes back to the boy in black I noticed a black oval shaped bag lying near the boy. I ran toward the bag and as I picked it up I realized how light it was. I unzipped the silver zipper and pulled out a small, wooden, string instrument. A copper string ukulele. The neck was snapped, and it looked to be in a pretty sorry state. While walking back to put the mangled instrument in my car I heard the all too familiar sound of sirens approaching.

An ambulance pulled up and a police car. As the truck came to a stop, a man and three women jumped out of and ran up to the boy in black. Another two men followed rolling a stretcher over to where the small crowd of uniformed people huddled. They gently rolled him on the stretcher. I was straining my ears to listen to the quiet talking of the paramedics when a strong hand gripped my shoulder causing me to jump and hastily turn around. A man about my height with brown hair and a moustache stood in front of me. He looked menacing with a loaded gun on each hip, and a baton but his green eyes were warm with a sad smile playing on his lips.

"You all right son? You're looking like you need to hurl." He asked sympathetically.

"Well other than the fact I just broke up with my girlfriend. Hit someone whos blood is now decorating the pavement, I'd say ya, I'm doing fine." I retorted in a very sarcastic tone that the officer didn't seem to pick up on.

"Well," he said, slinging his arm around my shoulders and steering me toward the police car. "I think you're not having a very good day, now are ya son?"

I rolled my eyes, "Ya, not a very good day." I mumbled almost incoherently.

"I'm Mr. Sean Dale, second chief officer of the Ohio stations. We are going to need to get you to the station for a talk about this boy. Do you think you would be okay to drive to the station or would you like a ride?"