A Milestone!

Avni squeaked as Neil came and hugged her from behind! She was cleaning up the dishes after dinner.
"What are you doing..!" Avni tried to move from his embrace. "Haha, shh Mrs.Khanna! I need you so badly.." He tightened his arms around Avni's waist, and nuzzled on the side of her face. Avni's breath hitched as Neil started to put open mouth kisses down the back of her neck. "Neil.." She tried saying. "Please let me," the words were enough for Avni to give up everything. In a swift move, Neil escorted them to the bedroom, placing her gently on the bed. Marshall acts as a good little baby when it comes to nights like this, as if he wants to give time for his Mommy and Daddy. 

"Marshall will be turning one, next week!" Neil exclaimed. He was sitting on the couch near the fireplace, Avni in his arms. "Whats the plan?" He asked. "um, I don't want a party. Marshall's too little to know stuff. Hence a big celebration would be of waste. Just a small gathering would do, right?" Neil just gave a nod to her statement, burying his face in her hair. "What was your first thought, when my wedding proposal was brought to you?" Neil asked randomly. Avni swished her head instantly, to look at him. "What? Bebe sent the proposal, not you.." She stuck her tongue at him. "ugh, faain! Bebe's proposal!" He rolled his eyes. "Haha!... It was really strange back then. I almost left the thought of getting married, life was really disoriented at then... so yeah. It was strange, I didn't know how to respond.. and then I saw how eager everyone was.. so just closed my eyes and let myself be taken with the flow... to the best destination I've ever reached in my entires existence.." the last part of Avni's sentence was almost a whisper, her fingers were slowly running across Neil's lightly grown beard. He gave her a smile, his eyes were moist. Avni gave him a soft peck on his lips. "Mine too.. and I can't tell you how blessed I am to have you.." He wrapped his arms tightly around Avni and squished her body in his arms. If possible, he wanted to squish her in his body. Their endless making out session went on, for the rest of the night.

The following morning Avni and Neil headed out for breakfast, Marshall along with them. Avni chose a little cafe, which was decorated in a bit of vintage theme. The atmosphere was still cloudy, the ground was covered with sheets of snow. Neil had his arms tightly wrapped around Avni, careful that she and Marshall doesn't slip over. Marshall squeaked and jumped out of Avni's arms as he saw the toys at the corner of the cafe. Avni laughed and let him crawl on. Neil hung up his coat on the hanger at the entrance, and helped Avni to get rid of hers. They took a seat nearest to the play area, to have a good eye on Marshall. Avni was almost convinced that it would be impossible to carry him out of the place today.

"Kareena is getting married!" Neil exclaimed after placing their orders. His eyes were glued on to his phone. "Really? When? I mean.." Avni was really surprised. She had talked to Kareena over the phone the other week, but she did not mention anything such. "Yeah.. Aunty Maddy finally agreed with her choice. Dhruv seems like a nice guy." Neil said showing her a photo. Avni closely examined the picture. "Hmm, looks like so." Neil laughed on the expression on her face. On time like this, he really thinks the 'detective' part of her is more than that of his, despite him being an ACP. "Shut up!" Avni also laughed along with him, as she understood the sarcasm in his. "Mama!" Marshall called out and the two of them looked at his direction. Avni gasped as Marshall tried to balance himself to stand without a support, and attempted to take a few baby steps. "Marsh!" Neil exclaimed and immediately moved to get up, but Avni grabbed his hand. "No! let him! He'll get scared if you move all of a sudden. Let him figure it out on his own, so he'll overcome the fear and try again to take some steps." Avni explained to Neil. "But he might fall and hurt himself.." Neil tried to justify his point. "So you don't want him to learn to walk?" Neil froze with Avni's question. "Take a seat, love. I'll explain." Neil sat back on his seat and Avni took his hand into hers. She then asked him to take a look at Marshall, who was falling constantly. But getting up the next instant to try again. "He's trying to overcome the fear, you see. If we stick around him all the time, and hold his hand, he will be depending on us. He'll be hesitant to try on his own.." Avni said, not removing his eyes from Marshall. Neil smiled to himself, as her words sunk into his brain and he figured out what it meant. Marshall tried a bit more and took three steps this time! Neil clapped his hands, which encouraged the little on more! After a few trials, he crawled back to Neil and hugged his legs. "Bravo, baby! Dada's so proud!" He lifted Marshall into his arms and threw him in the air. Marshall laughed out loud, in reflex.

They spent most of the days in exploring the city and its food. Avni let Marshall eat along with him, despite knowing he was little. But she wanted him to taste varieties and get used to the flavours. 

Marshall was sound asleep when they got out of the restaurant after dinner. Neil offered to carry him, but Avni refused. She loves to cuddle his chubby little body, in this cold weather. They strolled around the street, and was held by a tribe passing along. There was a cultural road show ongoing, thus they stopped by to watch. Both Avni and Neil enjoyed the time, with Neil capturing the act with a camera. He could not help himself but click a few, of Avni and Marshall. His heart melted to see how Avni occasionally pressed her lips on Marshall's sleeping face, a true moment of how deep a mother's love is. "Lets go home? I'm freezing now.." Avni said to Neil, as he moved out of the crowd. He nodded and signalled to a cab.

The Khans were eagerly waiting on the doorstep when Neil and Avni arrived. "Marshi!" Shweta took the little on in her arms and hugged him tightly. Bebe and Prakash was right beside her, each kissing and caressing on his face. "Oh so we are not your kids anymore?" Neil asked dramatically as the others ignored him and Avni. Avni smacked on his hands, not happy with his statement. "Ouch! what? my mother have forgotten about her one and only son!" Neil made a baby face. "Yes, and thats because of YOUR one and only son!" Shweta retorted, pulling Neil's ear playfully. Avni clasped a hand to her mouth, trying to hinder a laugh. "Haha! enough now, let go in. Come, Avni." Bebe escorted them inside and to the dining table. "I have made a perfect lunch, just for you two!" She clapped her hands and directed Avni and Neil to take a seat. "Here's Marshi's chair!" Prakash came with Marshall's highchair. "and.. Marshi will eat with Dadi today!" Shweta placed the chair next to her seat. "Of course not! He'll eat with Bebe!" Bebe dragged the chair to her side. Both Avni and Neil looked at each other, knowing that this is the beginning of a new competition.

The week passed by, and Marshall was all comfortable to walk now, although he's still trying to balance himself. Avni was busy throughout, in unpacking and settling in the Khanna house. Neil had brought in all there stuff, and was renovating the room next to theirs as a Nursery for Marshall. 

Avni gave breakfast to Marshall and hurried upstairs to their room with him. Neil has to go for an early field work today, so she had to make his uniform ready, which he haven't worn in a long time. Avni placed Marshall in his cot, and started ironing the cloth. Neil's phone buzzed as soon as he came out of shower, Avni knew he was getting late as she heard the conversation, hence finished up her work quickly. "Here you go." She handed over the uniform to Neil, and went on to search for his wallet and car keys. Neil never remembers where he leaves them, and would always panic, if Ani doesn't get it hunted out on time. Neil took the wallet and keys from Avni, after wearing his watch, and gave her a quick peck. "I'll let you know if I'll be late." Avni gave him a nod, and placed his cap on. Neil turned around to cuddle Marshall before he leave. But Marshall's eyes widened as Neil took steps towards his crib. "No!" he exclaimed. Both Neil and Avni was taken aback. "what?" Neil said, trying to move closer. "No..! Dada..No" Marshall kept on saying, his eyes now filled with tears. Avni quickly moved to him, while Neil was frozen in his steps. Feeling really bad, on why Marshall was rejecting him. "Marsh.. whats up baby?" Avni took him into her arms. But Marshall shared glance to Neil and then buried his face on Avni's chest. It took a while for her to understand. "Your uniform, Neil. Marshall haven't seen you in it before. Maybe thats the reason.." Neil smiled as there was nothing such as he thought. He took of his cap and moved close to Marshall. This time he looked at Neil properly. Neil again wore his cap, and Marshall quickly looked away instantly! "Haha! Its just the cap!" Neil laughed out loud as he figured it out. He took off the cap again and took Marshall from Avni. "You'll get used to it in no time, little one." He kissed on Marshall's cheek and tickled him, playing with him for a while. "I better be off then!" He said, handing over Marshall to Avni. "I'll make sure not to wear this cap, with Marshall around hehe. Love you!" Neil kissed Avni on her lips, and hurried to leave. He have a big day ahead!