Since the Founder's Times

"Where are Tonks and Harry?" George wondered. It was a few weeks after the holidays and the Gryffindor common room was packed with people again.

"Dunno," Fred answered. Tonks had collected Harry earlier so he could see the Hufflepuff common room, everyone knew about him now anyway. But they were supposed to have returned already.

The portrait hole opened and Fred and George looked up expectantly, but instead of Harry, Professor McGonagall entered the room. She looked around at the students with a grim expression.

"To the great hall everyone," she said. "Follow me."

Everyone got up and whispers spread through the crowd of Gryffindors. In the great hall, the house tables were gone, but McGonagall made them stop where the Gryffindor table usually stood. The Hufflepuffs were already there, and the Ravenclaws and Slytherins arrived soon after, although professor Snape was nowhere to be seen. Dumbledore stood at the front of the room and silenced them once everyone had arrived.

"We have reason to believe that Harry Potter is inside the walls of Hogwarts," Dumbledore spoke. "If any of you have information on his whereabouts, I ask you to speak up now. It is crucial that Harry can go back to his family."

It was like the entire hall was holding its breath, but no one came forward.

Then a loud bang resounded through the hall as the doors were thrown open and everyone whirled around. Severus Snape was dragging in Nymphadora Tonks and Harry Potter. Fred's hands clenched as he saw the fierce grip Snape had on Harry's arm and the tears in Harry's eyes. He couldn't hold himself back.

"Let him go!" Fred and George shouted at the same time.

Snape released Harry as if he were a disgusting trashbag and Harry crumpled to the floor. Fred and George ran towards him and Fred gathered him in his arms, not noticing the apologetic looks, Tonks was sending them.

"It's alright, Harry," Fred said frantically. "It's okay, we're here, you're safe now."

But Harry had started trembling harder than ever once he was in Fred's arms and wouldn't stop. Fred looked helplessly to George, but his twin felt just the same way.

"Fred and George Weasley!" McGonagall shouted and walked towards them. "What is the meaning of this?"

"Sorry, Professor," George said bitterly. "But we won't let you send Harry back to his family."

"Mr Weasley!" she exclaimed, but Angelina interjected.

"They're right professor," she said as she moved to stand next to Fred, who was still holding Harry.

Lee followed her example and stood next to George, then came Bill and Charlie and Tonks who had meanwhile been released from Snape. One after another, the student of Hogwarts moved to stand around the Weasley twins and Harry Potter, protecting the young child.

"You cannot be serious," Professor McGonagall exclaimed. "Be reasonable, the boy has to go back to his relatives."

"Does he?" a girl in Slytherin green and silver asked.

"She's right," a boy from Ravenclaw said. "Why do you get to decide what is best for him?"

Professor McGonagall opened her mouth, but after a moment, Dumbledore spoke.

"Minerva, try and see the good in this situation," he said pleasantly. "I don't believe Hogwarts has stood quite this united since the founder's days."

He gestured to the students standing not sorted into houses, but mixed and for the sole purpose of protecting one they saw as their own.

"Albus, the child has to go back to his family," McGonagall said. "It is the best place for him, you told me that yourself."

"Then, Minerva, consider it as one of the many mistakes even I make," Albus Dumbledore said quietly. "There seems to be no better place for Harry, than Hogwarts."

625 words