Chapter 9

I wake up to my bed shaking and someone yelling. “Avery wake up, wake up, wake upppp!”

“I’m honestly going to kill you if you don’t shut the fuck up!” I reluctantly open my tired eyes to find Harry bouncing up and down.

“She finally gets up.” He smiles.

I desperately want to be mad at him for waking me up, but that smile is making it hard to resist. I finally allow myself to give in after I get a good punch to his stomach.

“I deserved that.” He feigns hurt.

“Yes. Yes you did.” I laugh. “So tell me why you felt the need to wake me up at” —I look over to the clock on my side table— “nine in the morning?”

“Because we are going to the beach.”

“And why can’t we go later?”

“Because I am awake and bored now.” He flashes that damn dimpled smile again.

“Harry.” I groan and roll over so my face is buried in my pillow. “How about at noon?”

Maybe if we hadn’t stayed out so late last night I would be open to the idea. Not that I was complaining, last night was more fun than I’ve ever had, but I was exhausted after the baseball game.

“Avery.” Harry mocked my groan, making me laugh.

“Fine! But you’re getting me coffee.”

“It’s a date.” He winks as he pulls me out of bed.

After our conversation yesterday, I was expecting things between us to get awkward, but it’s been completely the opposite. Especially since he was such an asshole the first couple of weeks I knew him, it’s been such a pleasant shock that we’ve become so close. I can count on him to lift my spirits.

Harry leaves me to get ready, so I head straight to my bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face. I’ll skip the shower seeing as we’re going to be swimming. I go back into my closet and put on my bikini under my shorts and tank top. Then I grab my beach bag and shove a towel, some sunscreen, my sunglasses and my phone in.

I make my way to Harry’s room and don’t bother knocking. If he doesn’t have to knock on mine, then I don’t have to knock on his. “Ready?”

“Fuck Ave, knock, would ya?” He says as he pulls on a plain white T-shirt.

“Oh, just like you knocked when you came into my room ten minutes ago to wake me up?” I challenge.

“I’m kidding, calm down. You know you don’t have to knock.” He laughs.

**

When we get to the beach, we find a spot on the hot sand to set our stuff down. I start to lay out my towel and take off my flip flops when Harry grabs me and tosses me over his shoulder.

“Harry! What the fuck!” I screech in surprise. He just laughs in response as he carries me toward the ocean. He’s lucky I took off my shorts and shirt. “Don’t go out to deep!”

“Is Avery Hayes afraid?” He laughs even harder. The water is now at his knees.

“I just don’t want to get eaten by a shark or a dolphin or something.”

He slowly sets me down in the water as he laughs. The water reaches my waist, while it’s only mid-thigh for him. “A dolphin? Really Ave?”

“I don’t know!” I laugh and splash water at him.

“No shark or dolphin will eat you, okay? I won’t let them.” He smiles and takes my hand. I nod and follow him as he slowly makes his way deeper into the water.