The breakup

Harry's POV

A few days passed since the housewarming party and since Uma crushed him, saying no when he'd asked her to marry him, and the two just weren't getting along. She'd taken to eating in their room and he'd been reduced to sleeping on the couch, on the rare occasion they were in the same space they were arguing about the proposal. He loved her and he always would but when she had turned him down something in him broke. It's like every horrible thing his father ever said to him back on the Isle had magnified ten-fold. There was nothing like being rejected by the person you loved the most. It seemed that today wasn't the day that things would start to get better.

That morning in particular things were already tense between them after the argument they'd had the previous evening neither of them were happy with each other. They were getting ready to go their separate ways for the morning and Uma had angrily flung his cup of coffee in his direction when he noticed that the ring on her finger wasn't the one he'd given her the night he graduated from Auradon Prep. Any other person would have let it go given their current situation but not Harry, he was going to get to the bottom of it. He decided it was probably best to keep things as casual as possible for right now "You're not wearing your ring." He stated before taking a sip of coffee, allowing the black liquid to burn down his throat. Sounding indifferent as she pulled her teal hair into a ponytail Uma asked: "Yeah, and?" not looking in his direction, but Harry knew she was mentally challenging him to object to her decision.

It was a game they often played over the years when they were in their rare argument. One would make a drastic decision in the hopes of riling the other up and then they would blow up, usually leading to them making up later on. That would have been perfectly fine if Harry was in the mood for games and they weren't too old to be playing them. With these points in mind, Harry angrily said "And you wear it every day, you have since I gave it to you." he practically spat. Apparently, she didn't like his tone because she said "I'm not wearing a ring that you gave me." flipping her hair over her shoulder as she turned to look at him, Harry knew where it was coming from. Understanding something didn't mean that he was okay with it.

"You didn't have a problem before today." He said irritated and hurt at the same time, the latter he didn't reveal.  Uma, on the other hand, had no problem showing exactly how she felt when she said: "I didn't realize that wearing one came with other expectations, expectations I'm not ready to have." She informed him, turning away to wash her own mug. Harry knew that she didn't want to marry young, he had heard it from her many times, but a part of him hoped that she would have said yes because he thought she was as in love with him as he was her, but he guessed he was wrong. It was times like these that he wished he hadn't changed his ways for her and kept up his womanizing ways. The only reason he had even tried to settle down with one person was because of her, everything he'd become had been.

"It's not an expectation, Uma, but it would be nice to take that next step." He told her, hoping she'd see where he was coming from. Before he realized his feelings for her Harry hadn't given a second thought to settling down and marrying, maybe even starting a family of his own one day. But then Uma walked in and captured his heart and then the thought of the aforementioned was implanted into his mind. He wanted to spend his life with her and he wanted to be the father to his children that his own never was to him. Unfortunately, she didn't because she gave him the answer he was hoping he wouldn't hear "That's not a step I want to take," She said thoughtfully "I might not ever be ready to take it." She added as an afterthought and he internally recoiled. 'She might not ever want to get married? Then why are we even together?' he thought to himself.

As the old saying goes "some things are better off left unsaid." Well, this wasn't one of those things. His anger building once more Harry found he couldn't stop his thoughts from slipping out "If you don't see us getting married, then maybe we shouldn't be together anymore." he spat, not missing a beat as Uma's expression turned from one of shock and hurt to something unreadable as she replied in a calm steady voice "Maybe we shouldn't be." she told him as she grabbed her bag off of the counter as she started towards the front door. Not looking over her shoulder once she reached it she coldly said "I knew there was no fixing this one." before walking out and closing the door behind her, leaving Harry wondering what the hell he had just done.

Uma's POV

After their argument that morning Uma had to fight the hurt that Harry's final words to her had caused. Sure they had been arguing a lot over the last few days but none of them had ended with them pretty much breaking up. Part of her wanted to run back in and apologize to him, to let him know just how much she loved him but she really had to get to work and decided that she would try to fix things once she got off. So instead of going back inside Uma made her way to Tiana's and got her day started. Every second of her shift Uma was counting down until the moment she could go home and see him again. Thankfully today was a day that flew by quickly and Uma was able to try and fix what had been so horribly broken between the two of them.

During her drive home, Uma tried to call Harry to see if they could talk but he wasn't answering his phone. She figured that he needed more time to cool off so she stopped trying after the second or third try. She'd just face him at home, that way he couldn't opt out of not speaking to her, he'd be cornered. Ten minutes later she pulled up to their house and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Uma unlocked the front door and noticed that Harry's usual line of shoes was gone, odd but it didn't tell her that anything was wrong. Then she noticed that the room to his office was open, figuring that Harry was in there Uma poked her head in the door. She saw nothing, absolutely nothing. That's because everything was gone: His computer, files, printer. It was all gone.

Hurriedly she ran upstairs to the bedroom they shared, immediately going to the red dresser near the door. Ripping the drawers open she saw that they too were empty, that's when she really started to panic "No," she said aloud as she ran to his closet in hopes that he would have possibly moved everything there. Nope, that was all gone too. He left their home, the life they were beginning to build, left her. At this revelation, Uma felt herself break. She couldn't breathe, she couldn't think...she couldn't even function. It was like in the last few hours that she was gone her whole world ended, leaving her drowning and unable to gasp for air.

Uma's outfit

https://www.polyvore.com/break_up_uma/set?id=236528623

Harry's outfit

https://www.polyvore.com/break_up_harry/set?id=236528712