O N E

I woke up from my slumber to hear the flight attendant over the intercom.

"You have now arrived in Omaha, Nebraska."

I sighed and stood up, waiting for my mom and brother to exit the isle so I could. We picked up our bags and walked out of the plane and into the unfamiliar airport. None of us knew where we were going, so we kind of just wandered around for a good five minutes before we decided to sit at a table in front of the airports Starbucks.

"So where is the exit?" My brother Hayden finally spoke up for all 3 of us. Me and my mom shrugged. She really should've thought this through a bit more.

"You two can figure this out. I'm getting a coffee."
I stated before stomping away from the small table. I ordered my coffee and leaned against the counter waiting for my name to be called. I hadn't realized myself gawking at an extremely attractive boy until his eyes awkwardly met mine.

He looked me up and down before smiling at me, I felt my skin heat up and my breath get heavy.

"Looking for something?" He asked with a smirk.

I shook my head slow and nervously, waiting for him to avert his eyes from mine, I couldn't seem to look away. He opened his mouth to speak again and time slowed down while I waited for what he was going to say.

"What's your name?" His smirk grew wider.

Almost like clockwork, the barista called my name, signaling that my drink was ready.

"Maggie?" I snapped my head around, smiling and grabbing my drink. I turned back to the boy. I decided that I was in a new town, a new state, even, and maybe Missouri Maggie was shy and awkward, but Nebraska Maggie was daring and flirty.

I smiled at him this time. "What's yours?"

He squinted his eyes, and slightly turned his head. "Jack. Do you have a last name?" I noticed my mom and brother waiting for me from our table.

"Nope." I cheekily smiled, before walking away and meeting up family.

"Jesus, we've been here for five minutes and you've already found a boy. That's talent." My brother taunted me.

I turned around to see if the boy was still behind us and he was, he was even looking at me. I turned back to my mom and brother, thinking about how sad it was that I'd never see this beautiful stranger again.

"Let's go."
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
We pulled into the driveway and I didn't know how to feel. Our new house was definitely an upgrade from the old small apartment I lived in with my mom dad and brother. But it's just a house. Not a home. The U-Haul followed us and boxes were being brought inside, but I was too busy looking around the neighborhood. It was perfect. The trees, the kids playing on the sidewalk, it was normal.

I walked inside before my brother so I could have first pick on bedrooms, well other than my mom. I picked the smaller room with 3 normal beige walls and one off-white brick wall, getting excited about decorating it.

After bringing in all of our boxes, I began putting my room together and dancing to my music, trying to put my thoughts into place. The three of us weren't really talking all that much, considering how uncomfortable we all were with the situation. My dad was the glue that held this family together, none of us know how we're going to survive without him. We all know it too, mom can't take care of us. She fell apart after the accident.

After I became satisfied with my room, I sat on my bed and scrolled through my social media's, trying to figure out how I was going to go about the first day of school. A new day. A new school, new people, new everything.