Hope

May's POV

The last time I touched my phone was when I had arrived back in Petalburg City after my Grand Festival loss. That was a year ago. My pokemon were filled with sorrow after I barely even moved from my room anymore.

The only times I even left my room were to feed myself, my mum and my pokemon. We had ran out of food multiple times already but the pokemon did everything they could to help. But I still felt horrible.

The last time I saw myself in the mirror which was about five months ago, I had dark rings under my eyes, and the blue had faded into a darker colour. I looked older than me own age and I hadn't spoken since that horrible day.

The gym in Petalburg was now completely closed and people seemed to forget my name. I no longer heard on the news about the disappearance of the Princess of Hoenn. My pokemon rarely did anything anymore as they were stuck at home with my miserable self and I felt horrible about that.

I just couldn't seem to move out of this room, afraid that if I stepped out, the weight of reality would be on my shoulders. I knew that I couldn't hide forever but no one would really care whether I stayed in this house forever or not. I lost hope a few months back that Max would ever come home. I had no idea what to do with myself since the day Dad passed away.

I thought about Drew quite often, wondering whether he still remembered me after a year. I always wonder if he missed competing against me. But I know he didn't since I always lost to him and could never catch up to him anyway so there was no point in that.

I heard on the news that he had a new rival. She was none other than Brianna. That started last year when they competed against each other a lot in Kanto. Only for Brianna to lose against him in the Grand Festival and Drew to receive his third ribbon cup.

Now I know he's back in Hoenn. I lost hope that he would ever think of seeing me again anyway.

It was morning and I knew that this would be another bad day. It was raining hard outside and all my pokemon had come down with a cold. Each were suffering from a fever. I knew they had been playing in the rain, so I allowed them. Only to forget that there was a possibility for them to get sick.

Every now and then, I would spend a lot of time thinking about all my losses back as a coordinator. Now I don't even know what I am. I don't compete in contests anymore, I don't fight in gym battles and I technically don't do anything anymore.

I got out of bed and stretched. I would have to get out of my room just for today since my pokemon were sick and I still had to look after them even if I didn't feel like it.

I missed Max a lot still. I never got to say goodbye to him.

I walked out of my room quietly and prepared my pokemon some food and berries which would help with their sickness. I got some water for myself and chugged it quickly.

I decided that today, since I was being quite eventful, that I should fix up my looks for once.

Walking into the bathroom, I almost screamed. I looked worse than before. My face had wrinkles and I had huge bags under my eyes from lack of sleep. My blue eyes were so dark, that I was questioning whether I even had blue eyes. My hair was all unevenly grown out and reached just below my knees. I didn't even think that was possible for me. I had also grown slightly taller.

I needed to get this fixed. But what's the point. I'm never leaving this house again.

I decided against my dark thoughts and cut my hair myself anyway. It was now just below my shoulders and wasn't unevenly cut anymore. I washed my face and gasped at the cold water. Did I mention that I hadn't taken a shower for a long time now?