Chapter Five

Reese's POV

- Where are you going that way again?

I turned back and found myself facing my father, his fists on his hips.

- Oh, I ... I'm joining Phillis! I replied immediately.

He frowned.

- You see her a lot... Don't you want to invite her in our house? We don't see you anymore, your mother and I, he replied, staring at me.

- Yes, I'll invite her, do not worry. But right now we have to met, so I have to join her.

My father looked at his watch.

- Reese, it's 9pm. I don't agree with the fact that you go out every night. You will stay at home today.

I raised my eyebrows. I wasn't going to stay at home tonight. I had to join Billie and spend the evening with him. And I really wanted to see him.

- No, I can not cancel at the last moment, it's not cool for Phillis! I exclaimed, shaking my head. But I will not come back too late.

Before my father got mad at me, I opened the door and walked out into the street. I scampered to the bus stop and waited for the vehicle, which arrived a few minutes later. I went inside, found a place, put my head against the window and let myself guide. This bus took me to Santa Monica. I had never been there. But Billie had given me an appointment there. At the pier. I could not wait to be there.

We arrived at our destination after 25 minutes. When the bus stopped, I asked the direction of the pier to the driver, who showed me the way with precision. So I began to walk, thinking about the evening we were going to spend. I could not wait to see Billie again. I liked him more and more, and his presence made me feel good. In addition of being, well, handsome, he was so nice, lovable ... I loved spending time with him.

The sound of the waves pulled me from my thoughts. I stopped, looked up and contemplated the view that presented itself to me. A huge pier, wonderfully illuminated, on which was built a fair, with rides and stands. I started to move towards the pontoon.

- You don't wanna wait for me?

A voice had come from behind my shoulder. His voice.

I jerked back and saw Billie staring at me, a smile on his lips and his hands in his pockets.

- Hey! I told him, approaching him. How are you doing ?

- I'm doing well, what about you ? Do you like the pier ?

I nodded immediately and gave him a big smile.

- It's, like, really wonderful. And I did not expect to see a fair on a pier!

He gently challenged me with his eyes.

- I hope you like rides!

I nodded enthusiastically, to which he replied with a big smile. He suddenly took my hand and started pulling me to the dock.

- Follow me.

He took me to the rides that were present on the pier. We shouted, we laughed, we spent a perfect moment. I urged him to get on the Ferris wheel with me, and the view we had from above was magnificent. I had rarely seen a more beautiful landscape than the one in front of my eyes. Santa Monica, at night, all lit, the sea, the music of the fair and the sounds of the waves behind... It was perfect. I turned my head towards Billie. He did not look at the landscape, he was looking at me. Fixedly. With a tender smile on his lips. I lowered my eyes, a little intimidated by his gaze.

- It's ... It's beautiful, isn't it? I asked him, looking up.

He was still staring at me, while keeping his smile at the corner of his lips.

"Beautiful," he replied, staring at me, his eyes bright.

...

After getting off the Ferris wheel and makes the attractions of the fair, Billie asked me to buy me a cotton candy, which I gladly accepted. He bought me one and we decided to leave the fair to go to land on the beach.

We sat on the sand, facing the sea. It was so good, I loved listening to the sea and watching the pier from afar. I was eating my cotton candy at the same time, and realized that I had not even suggested it to Billie. I turned to him.

- Do you want a taste ? I asked him.

- Sure ! he replied.

I wanted to hand him cotton candy so that he tore a tip with his fingers. Instead, he put his face close to the candy, and a few inches from my own face. He looked down at mine, opened his mouth and took a bite, still looking at me. I smiled at him, and he gave me back my smile while swallowing the piece of cotton candy.

He then lit a pot, which we shared together, while discussing many different things. A good hour passed without neither him nor me being aware of it.

- You know ... he started again, looking down and playing nervously with the sand, I'm really glad you're here. And, hum... That we can spend this evening together. I'm really having fun.

"Me too, Billie," I replied, looking for his gaze. I'm having a perfect evening.

He looked up and turned to me. He stared at me and gently nibbled at his lips.

- I'm happy to have met you. I know it's not been that long, but ... I appreciate you. A lot.

I opened my mouth to answer but no sounds came out. He looked at me, seeming to have regretted what he had just said. I pulled myself together immediately.

- Billie ... I tell him finally. I really appreciate you too.

I was marking a pose, while Billie was looking at me with his big green eyes, waiting for me to add something.

- Honestly, I continued, every day this week, I was thinking of you and I wanted to see you. I know it sounds weird, but, um ...

I blushed and looked down, stopping in the middle of my sentence. There was a long silence.

I felt his eyes on me, but I did not dare look up.

I felt him get closer to me, and move his gaze up and down my face. He put his index finger under my chin and gently raised my head so that our eyes could cross. Our faces were only a few inches apart, and my heart started beating a little faster; what I also felt on my breath. Billie noticed it, smiled sweetly at me and put the palm of his hand on my cheek. I wet my lips and looked at him timidly, not knowing what to do or what to say.

His eyes went down my face and stopped on my lips, to finally meet my eyes again. I took a deep breath and opened my mouth to speak, but I didn't have time for it. Slowly, Billie reduced the little space between us and, while keeping his hand against my cheek, gently put his lips on mine.