Part 7

Jimin

"Try not to make too much noise until we get upstairs," Yoongi tells me before we enter his house. I wonder why but don't ask.

He opens the door slowly and slips inside and I follow him into a dimly lit space with not a lot of furniture and grey walls. I don't get much of a chance to look around before Yoongi crosses the floor to a staircase in the corner and beckons me to follow. Every stair creaks as I step on it, but somehow Yoongi scales them soundlessly. We go up two flights of stairs before we reach what I assume is the attic and Yoongi closes the door behind us.

"Welcome to my safe haven," Yoongi gestures to the dusty room with a ceiling so low it makes me glad I'm short. Sitting right in the centre of the room is the brown piano Yoongi must have been talking about, with a notebook, pencil and eraser on the floor next to the seat. I open my mouth to say something, but I'm interrupted by a little girl who comes running out of nowhere and wraps her arms around Yoongi's legs. I recognise her from the day I saw Yoongi at the playground.

"Why did you leave?" She says in a wobbly voice.

Yoongi strokes the top of her head. "Holly, I told you I was just going out for a little while. Did you forget?"

The girl nods.

"Jimin, meet my little sister, Holly," Yoongi says, and Holly breaks away and notices me for the first time.

"Hello," she says shyly, and I grin at how cute she is.

"Hi, there." I squat down so that I'm eye level with her. "How old are you, Holly?"

"Five."

"Wow! You're so big!"

Holly smiles, showing a deep dimple on her right cheek. "I'm six in two months."

"Hey, Holly, how about you play with your dolls now?" Yoongi suggests. I'm guessing he wants her to leave us alone.

Holly jumps up and down as if it's the best idea she's ever heard. "Yesyesyes!"

Yoongi chuckles and holds his hand out to her. "I'll take you to your room then." He turns to face me. "I'll be right back."

"Take your time," I tell him as he leads Holly away.

After the door shuts behind them, I make my way over to the piano. I wonder if it's still in good tune, since it looks ancient. I slowly lower myself down into the seat, which is a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be. I think of all the hours Yoongi would have spent sitting here and smile to myself. I also think of how weird it is that I've only spent about an hour with this guy and he already feels like family.

I jump up off the piano seat when I hear the door creak open.

"Sorry, I was just... looking. I don't know," I mumble.

Yoongi smirks. "That's okay. What do you think?"

"I think it's impressive that you can still play this thing. It looks about a thousand years old," I say without thinking, and Yoongi's smirk drops. "Oh no, I didn't mean that in a bad way! I actually think it's really cool."

Yoongi walks over and sits down where I was sitting a few seconds ago and lightly brushes his hand across the keys. I can tell he's itching to play, but he might be shy.

"Can you play me something?"

Yoongi's hand freezes when I ask the question. Then he puts his other one up on the keys as well.

"Okay. I can free-style for a bit, I guess." He doesn't even finish the sentence before his fingers begin dancing along the keys.

It's definitely still in tune, because the sound that comes out of the old piano is flawless. I stare in awe as Yoongi creates a melodic tune. I find it hard to believe that he's just making it up as he goes along. It's too lovely.

At first I watch his hands. They're veiny with long fingers that press softly on each key before gracefully gliding to the next.

Then I watch his face. His mouth is open slightly so I can see that he's biting the tip of his tongue. His eyes are focused but glazed over at the same time, like he's in some kind of trance. He's not smiling, but this is definitely the happiest I've seen him.

Way too soon he drags his hands away from the keys and shrugs himself back into reality.

"I'm not that good, bu-" I cut him off with a round of applause, and he gives me an adorable smile.

"Yoongi, you're amazing! And that was just free-styling?" He nods. "That's insane. You're so talent-"

This time it's Yoongi who cuts me off by standing up and kissing me. I'm just starting to kiss him back when my phone pings with a text message, causing him to pull away. At that moment I want to chuck my phone against the wall.

"Sorry," I mutter, and pull my phone out of my pocket. It's a message from Taehyung.

So my parents have decided to throw one of their legendary boring parties tomorrow night to celebrate Tori coming back. Can you and Jungkook come? You can bring your coffee shop babe if you want 😉

I laugh, even though Taehyung loves his parents there's nothing he hates more than their (surprisingly many) unnecessary parties. One positive of this one is that I get to spend more time with Yoongi, though.

"That was Taehyung inviting me to a party his parents are throwing tomorrow night. Do you wanna tag along? It'd be nice to see you some more," I say, hoping I don't sound too desperate.

I can't quite read the expression on Yoongi's face.

"I'd like to see you too, but I need to get time off work, and I wouldn't know anyone there besides you," he says.

"You'd know Taehyung."

"Not really."

"It's at night, would you really still be working?"

"Usually I stay back to lock up the place."

I don't want to keep pushing him, but I also really do want to see him tomorrow, so I continue trying to convince him.

"You could bring a friend or two if you like. Then you'd know more people."

Yoongi meets my eyes and smiles.

"Okay. I can probably lock up early anyway."

I smile too and lean in to kiss him again, but then I hear a crash and a scream from downstairs. It sounds like a woman.

Yoongi curses under his breath, and makes a run for the door.

I don't think he notices me following him until we reach the bottom of the staircase.

"Sorry, Jimin, you need to go." He grabs my arm and practically throws me out the front door. "I'm so sorry. I'll see you tomorrow," he says before slamming it shut.