Beautiful

September 1, 1989

'First day of senior year!' I thought to myself as I walked the hallways of Westerburg High. You can almost smell the testosterone from the jocks, and if you take a deep breath you might pass out from the overpowering perfume. And then there's me, who sits at the back, getting a full view of everything. Watching the kids I've known my whole life grow into narcissistic, people-hating douchebags.

Chanting is usually a big part of the school. Usuals consist of freak, slut, poser, loser, short bus, white trash, and homo to name a few. Homo and freak are biggies for me.

There's a few that I can pick out that fit the white trash description.

First, Ram Sweeny. He's a senior, too. I've known this guy my whole life, he lives down the street from me. It's his third year as a linebacker and his eighth year-some might say ninth- of smacking down lunch trays of the poor nerds and being a huge dick.

He passes by me with a glare.

Next into the ring is Kurt Kelly, our school's favorite Quarterback. If I'm being honest, he's probably the smartest guy on the football team. He makes a solid D- all year, but if he actually tried, he could get a D+.

He always hangs out with Ram. I heard them giving each other handjobs the one time I went to a game for publications. They won't admit it though.

I sat down at one of the quieter tables of our crowded high school, by Martha Dunnstock. Pink sweaters, big glasses, geeky vibes and a chubby frame doesn't help much in this high school, but she was probably the sweetest person I've ever met.

"Hey Martha," I said, sliding my chair over to be across from her. "Hey Y/N," she responded. Her voice sounded sad, almost longing. "What's wrong?"I asked her, scooting my chair in a bit. "It's Veronica. She wasn't in history or Chemistry, and I'm starting to get nervous," She explained, taking off her glasses and wiping them. I knew Martha was scared of being left alone by her friends, she was scared to be forgotten.

"She's probably sick. I saw her go into the bathroom earlier, and I'm pretty sure she wasn't feeling good. She never uses the school bathrooms," I said, sighing. "I hope you're right," She said, grabbing a book and pulling it out to start reading. She doesn't know about my crush on Veronica, and I don't plan on letting her known. Period.

I had started eating when I heard the cafeteria doors slam open. Everyone turned their heads. It was the Heathers. I'll give some descriptions here too.

Heather McNamara, she's the head cheerleader. Very obvious yellow is her favorite color. Her family is rich as hell, meaning as long as her family keeps donating to the sports teams, she doesn't have to do jack.

Following her is Heather Duke. With her big boobs and green outfits, she won't hesitate to snap a few words if you so much as breath around her. SHe runs the yearbook, so she decides where you fall. According to her, I fall into the geeky homo category. Other than that, she really doesn't have her own personality.

Next, Heather Chandler, Big Red, the Almighty. The hottest of the Heathers according to herself and the rest of the school.

She is a mythic bitch.

Lastly, a new girl. A new Heather? No, her face is too familiar. Is that Veronica?

Holy shit, it is.

"Veronica?" Martha asked She started to get up, but I pulled her back, shaking my head. "Don't. The Heather's will eat you alive," I told her, and she sat back down. She played with the hem of her sweater nervously. "What happened to her?"

I sighed. "The Heathers, that's what happened."

She was still as beautiful as ever. Chocolate brown hair, dark eyes, a soft complexion, she was nothing like the Heathers. But she had some kind of passion in her, something that gave her fuel, a need, a want. She had to potential to become one of them, but she never went for it, until now.

"I'm going to talk to her," I said, standing up. "But you said-"I cut Martha off. "The Heathers don't know who I am or what I do. I'm under their radar. But they know everything about you. I just want to know what happened."

Martha sighed. "Alright."

I walked over to their table, taking a breath. Veronica turned to look at me, a smile on her face. My legs started to shake a bit. I couldn't talk to her. I turned around in shame. I can't face her or the Heathers. I walked out of the lunchroom, head down and thinking.

I hate this place.