Chapter 3

I learned later on that the trio was siblings. They just got transferred to this school two months ago. Their unusual appearances and intimidating personality scared people off, but they never caused any trouble so the teachers just left them alone. Maybe they scared the teachers, too.

Anyway, it was counterproductive for me to suddenly take an interest in those strangers. I shook my head to clear the image of the blonde girl and opened my science textbook to read before the class started. The book was full of colorful pictures of galaxies, planets, and other scientific information.

I was so absorbed in my reading that I didn't know when the noises in the class had died down. It wasn't until a moment later that I heard the sound of heavy boots approaching my table. I felt a presence of someone standing beside me so I looked up.

My heart almost exploded out of my chest. I recognized that perfectly chiseled face immediately.

Oh, my god.

Allecra Knight was looking down at me with a deep frown. My mouth fell open like a goldfish's. Then her eyes also widened and twinkled like lit jewels when they met mine. I couldn't make out what color they were since there was more than one. It was like looking at a kaleidoscope or a greenish blue galaxy.

Wow, hybrid much?

The blonde girl said nothing and just stared and stared at me.

"I'm—I'm sorry—I must have taken your seat," I stammered. Her intense eyes made my hands shake as I closed the book and put it back into my bag. She had the strangest look on her face. It almost seemed restrained.

But then Mrs. Cowell, our science teacher came into the room.

"Alright children, please take a seat," she said in a clear strong voice. "Time to discover the wonders and joy of science!"

"Mrs. Cowell, we have a new student from Russia," some guy yelled, causing my head to turn away from that antagonistic stare.

"Who's that?" the teacher asked. I timidly raised my hand.

"Oh, may I see your slip, please?" she said.

At last, I had an excuse to escape that unsettling pair of blazing eyes. But when I was about to move away from the table, the teacher just walked over and took the slip for herself.

Mrs. Cowell signed the slip without making a fuss.

"Welcome to my class, Antonina Black, right?" the teacher handed me back the signed paper with a smile. "I guess you and Allecra are going to be partners from now on. Please take a seat so we can begin our lesson."

My stomach did a somersault. Great, now I didn't have a choice and neither did the blonde girl. Keeping my eyes down, I took my seat again. There was this swagger-handsomeness in her posture when she turned and slumped herself on the chair. She crossed her arms and leaned herself back, resting her feet on the footrest of the table.

I heard her mumbling something I didn't understand. My hands balled into fists on my lap. Who does she think she is? I thought resentfully. It wasn't like I was dying to be near her or anything.

People turned their heads away from our table as Mrs. Cowell started the lesson. I dropped my eyes to my book and tried to read again, ignoring the tension.

We learned about stars. Now the teacher was discussing some light year distances and time.

"The light from the nearest stars to our earth takes four years to reach your eyes," Mrs. Cowell said. "Some of the stars might already die hundreds if not thousands of years ago. What you see now may just be their past."