Prologue

Captain James Kidd sat back against his worn chair, a bottle of rum in his hands. He took a swig of rum and swirled it in his mouth, letting the dark liquid swish in his mouth before swallowing it.

As he set the bottle down on the table in front of him, he pulled his feet off the table where they were resting, and gave a nod toward the approaching captains. "Evening, Kenway, Thatch." Upon their arrival and order of rum, the two men sat opposite of James, their arms draped across the back of their chairs.

"Evening Kidd. Getting a woman tonight?" Kidd glanced to his left, eyes scanning the approaching women who clambered up the steps.

They were dancers who delighted in the pleasures of men, for gold. They would occupy the time of men and make them feel less lonely for one night.

"None for me." He turned away from the woman, though they approached the table a moment later. One of them draped her arms around Thatch's neck and leaned down, her lips brushing against his ear.

The other woman came to sit on Kenway's lap, one hand resting on his chest, and the other resting on his thigh. As James watched them interact, a pang of jealously hit him.

He desired a woman of his own, though not a dancer. He wanted a woman to keep his company in more than just a pleasureable night. He wished to have a woman with him, by his side.