the diversity of love

Hi I'm Dani George and I'm a simple teenage girl, in highschool. I'm seventeen, I've got hazel brown eyes, I'm 5'4 and I'm gay.

That's right, I'm gay and I have a crush on this girl named Patty Moore. In exactly one week it's valentines day.

On valentines day I would love to tell her that I like her, but I'm nervous. Im nervous because no one at school, except my friend Seth, knows I'm gay. So if I want to tell her I like her, I would be coming out. Like always that is a scary thing to do. With coming out, you have bullies, name calling, and in some cases you lose friends.

Thankfully for me, Seth is still my friend. So that's one less thing to worry about. Now I just got to find the best way to do this.

Do I get her flowers and chocolate or a teddy bear. But are they too unoriginal. I do know she loves reading, so maybe I follow that direction.

I also happen to know she likes John Green because she dropped her books one day, and she had Fault in Our Stars in her hand.

Maybe I just need a little help.

"Mom, um do you remember me telling you about Patty?" I ask.

"That pretty blonde girl you like, of course" she says.

"I want to tell her," I say. "On valentines day."

"Oh how sweet" she says.

I just smile at her.

"Are you going to get her something?"

"She likes to read" I say.

"I know exactly what you can do" she says.

We first head to a book store and find a whole section of John Green books. I was looking for one that I liked  myself. Then I came across paper towns. I absolutely loved this book.

Let's hope she does too.

Next we head to a candy store. We find a box of chocolates, and also I pick out a chocolate rose.

The last stop was a flower store. I didn't want to get roses, because it wasn't original, Patty meant more to me than roses. I ended up picking out these beautiful light blue daisies.

Doing all of this was making me feel even more nervous than I should. To calm myself down a bit. I decided to put a little fun into telling her.

I wrote a note in the book.

Patty, I just wanted to let you know that you mean a lot to me. To be honest I'm really scared what you're gonna think when you find out.....meet me outside for lunch.

*****

Today is the day. I'm already outside waiting for her. I put everything in her locker this morning.

I see her walking and when she sees that I'm the only one out here she smiles.

"Hey Dani" she says.

"Hey patty" I say.

"You put a lot into this," she says. "You must really like me."

"Well I like you too."

She kisses me.