Chapter 9: The Message

I want to tell you how exciting my life got after that. I almost want to say that there was a dramatic love triangle between Peter, Edmund, and I, just like you all were expecting. I wish I could say that Caspian made it to England and settled there with his family, but I can't. I can't because my life has been a seemingly endless cycle of work for the past two years.

Not all of it is boring, I've spent holidays with the Pevensies since I moved into my own place. It took a little bit to get started, but everything is running smoothly in terms of money. The Pevensies got me a kitten last week for Christmas, we named him Aslan. He keeps me company at night when I finally get to come home from work. My days are boring, but thankfully my boss lets me have weekends off because of the long hours I work during the week. I usually spend Friday evenings with Edmund. I never realized we hadn't gone on a proper date until he asked me to go see a film with him one day. He graduated from university in the spring, so he's had more free time since then.

Work has been consuming my mind lately. I haven't had any visits from the White Witch, nor do I plan on seeking one. I actually haven't thought about Narnia, aside from Caspian occasionally. It stays in my subconscious most of the time.

There's a knock on my door. Quickly checking on the roast beef in the oven, I rush to answer it. Aslan (the kitten) trots behind me, his bell collar making a light ring with each step. I open the door to see Edmund shivering.

"Come in, quickly," I say, "I don't want Aslan to escape."

"It's snowing," he says, taking off his coat, "What's in the oven?"

"Dinner," I say, hanging his things on a rack.

"Smells great," he kisses me on the forehead, "Is there anywhere you want to go after?"

"I think we've been everywhere in London," I laugh, "Maybe we can just stay in since it's cold."

"That's a good idea," he says, "Do you need help with the food?"

"No, thank you," I walk back to my tiny kitchen, "It's just about done."

"You still have this?" I hear from the next room.

"What?" I ask, poking my head in. Ed is holding my sword. I took it out the other day to make sure it didn't have any damage. I guess I never put it back. "Oh, that. Why wouldn't I have it? It's the only thing left from Narnia."

"It's just a bit odd that you have a sword lying around," he teases.

"So?" I scoff, "Nobody comes here except you."

"How flattering," he puts down the sword and squeezes me, "I'll set the table. I'm starving."

I smile after him and go back to get the roast beef. 'Setting the table' in my flat doesn't require much effort, all my furniture is small and cheap.

While we're eating, I look up at him curiously. "Do you ever think about Narnia?"

"All the time," Edmund says, "I wish I could go back."

"I still feel awful about leaving," I sigh, poking at the last of my meal.

"You didn't mean to," he says, "Weren't you just going to the outskirts?"

"Yeah," I shrug, "I didn't really have a plan."

"Better than whatever you were running from," he says reassuringly, "What was it again?"

"Arranged marriage," I roll my eyes.

"That would do it," he says, "Cheer up, at least you're here now. You've got a good job, a decent flat to live in, and me." He winks at the last part.

I laugh. "Of course, I'm very happy here. I just miss the adventure."

"I know what you mean," he says, "I'll clean up dinner, go relax."

I'm so lucky, most of the women I work with complain that their boyfriends never clean or help cook.

***

Edmund decided it was too slippery outside to walk home, so he's spending the night with me. This happens quite a lot, I've done the same at his flat several times.

I'm just about to go to sleep, but a thought pops into my head. I sit up on my elbow.

"Why don't we just live together?" I ask.

Ed rolls over and leans his head on his hand. "Sure, when do you want to move out?"

That was easy, I think. "I dunno, maybe in a month or so?"

"Perfect," he smiles, "We can start looking for a bigger flat tomorrow."

"Right," I say. I didn't think this conversation would be so short. "Good night, then."

I move closer to him and go to sleep.

In the middle of a dreamless slumber, I see a bright light. It's all in my head, so I just assume it's the beginning of a dream. I move myself into a more comfortable position and wait for everything to start. The light draws nearer with each passing second, finally taking up the entirety of my mind's vision.

I'm standing in the middle of a field. The sun is shining above me, birds are chirping with delight. I can feel a sweet breeze pass through my long hair as I take in the brilliance around me. I could spend forever here.

In the distance, I see an interesting figure emerging from the clouds. It's a lion, but not just an ordinary lion. It's Aslan.

He approaches me with a soft look in his eyes. It's been years since I last saw him, but he still has that golden glow about him.

"Am I dead?" I ask.

"Far from it, my dear," he chuckles, "I'm here to talk with you."

"Is it about me leaving?" I look at my feet.

"No, you did the right thing," Aslan says, "Your family missed you, but it was for the best. Fate brought you to England."

What a relief. All this time I had been thinking Aslan was furious with me, but everything turned out fine.

"However, I'm afraid Narnia's peaceful era is coming to an end," he says gravely, "It prospered well for many years after you left, but tension has been rising. I sense an uproar soon."

"Another war?" I ask.

"Something far worse," Aslan shakes his head, "Your kingdom is in danger."

I feel a pit in my stomach. "What can I do?"

"Not much," he says calmly, "One cannot simply get to Narnia by choice."

Now that I think about it, nobody from England had ever planned on going there in the first place.

"Keep them in your thoughts," Aslan says, "The Narnians need all the help they can get."

Before I can speak, a gust of wind takes the great lion away.