4: Memories Kept

Edited: 4/3/18

꧁꧂

In the span of time we live out our lives

Calmness sweeps us off our feet

In the end, we're left with memories kept

Locked away, as they spiral down and fade away from thee

꧁꧂

"It's that child again." Villagers in the Kouka Kingdom continued their daily routines. However, some couldn't help but notice the figure walking near them. Like always, they gossiped about a pressing topic in their society- the other twin. Said twin - Satori - was on a stroll around the village, trying to become familiar with what she might one day govern....if she was lucky. She was only thirteen after all. Plenty of time to learn the ropes as the common people said.

However, luck was something she would soon learn was never on her side.

"Which one?" Another passerby asked, a female voice. She was new to the scope of the scene, but quickly grasped the tension spreading to the surrounding villagers. She paused noticing the stares all directed at her. A drop of sweat ran down her temple. 'Maybe it was a bad idea to sneak away from the palace?'

"That one," reaffirmed the male voice with a slight edge to his voice. Satori quickly wiped it away. 'I can do this. Just look confident. I came here for a reason. I can't get scared now!' The sound of laughter came up progressively behind her. Too lost in thought, she found herself being pushed by a sudden force forcing her to her knees on the ground. A quick flash of frustration and irritation showed on her face, to be masked with a calm expression. 'Can't be helped. Whatever. Walk it off Satori.' She got up, dusting herself in the best dignified manner she could. Her robes kept their usual sheen, but was noticeably scuffed up by the earthy ground.

"The one with that evil glint in her eye," pitched in an older woman. Satori's eyes widened. 'Again.' Her eyes held a certain poignancy. She continued to scurry through the villagers crowding the markets with haste. She pushed past them, keeping her head down. The girl didn't want to be noticed in the crowd, by the villagers who scorned her or by the guards who would surely be searching for her by now. 'What can I give to have a little quiet? Don't they ever mind their own business?'

"How can she bear to show herself?" The girl wasn't sure if the townspeople were still whispering about her. Was it all in her head? Sometimes these thoughts would repeat in her head in a cycle of despondency. 'They see me. The whispers.' Satori's breaths become quicker with every thought that came forth in her mind.

"Does the king not know the legends? A child like that..." She stopped in her tracks. 'Too loud. I can't hear myself. Is that my voice?' Hands clapped to her ears, ruffling her blonde hair. It was overwhelming. Those constant whispers of her.

'They see you. For what you are.'

"How barbaric! Is this really considered royalty?" questioned a merchant woman. The townspeople stood in shock to the ear-piercing shriek that came from the girl. Every villager that hadn't taken notice to Satori now did. Standing in the middle of the crowd was the girl.

'You can't escape them. Sooner or later-'

"Hush, she might hear you," chided the woman's husband. "You really think she can hear us over that loud voice of hers?"

'they will find you.'

"Stop it," The girl muttered under her breath.

'You can't escape them.' The voices repeated.