Chapter 25

25.

“Where’s the bathroom in this place? I have to pee.” Omar says looking in every room of the apartment.

 It’s six and we have only looked at is this one place so far, my father made sure to tell the relator to pick empty spaces close to our home. I didn’t object because as much as I didn’t want to be near my parents I wanted to be given as much freedom as possible.

 “Omar, you can’t pee in a home you don’t own.” My father says inspecting the kitchen and master bedroom. “Layla where are you?”

 “In here!” I call from the small walk in closet attached to the master. This was going to be a problem. I needed a bigger space to fit all my clothes. My father pokes his head in and sighs.

 “You can’t expect to find a decent place without compromising.” My father says referring to the size of the closet.

 “I will give up kitchen space then, I don’t even cook. I feel like I’m on an episode of House Hunters.”

 “Well you better learn, how do you plan on getting married if you don’t know how to cook?” My father says raising his black eyebrow. That’s all my parent’s ever worried about. How I was going to get married and to who? They were going to eat the poor guy alive with their expectations.

 “I will hire a chef to come.” Not wanting to think about learning how to cook.

 “You can’t have someone do things for you all the time you know, no man will marry a girl who can’t cook.”

 “Did mom know how to cook?” I say already knowing the answer.

 “Well no, but your mother and I had an arranged marriage so it’s not like I had a choice in the matter.

 “Really? I didn’t know it was arranged, so you guys didn’t even really love each other?” I ask interested in my parent’s love life.

 “Layla, it’s very easy to be a selfish person, but very hard to give up the things you do love.”

 “I don’t get it.”

 “Me and your mother hated each other when we first met, but after some time she grew on me. I don’t think I could live without her, she is my other half. Wow that sounds like a sick love novel. Sorry.” My father says patting me on the back.

 “Would you ever make me have an arranged marriage?” I ask hoping he would say no.

 “Depends, if I know what’s best for you then yes, I would.” He says his mouth formed in a straight line.

 “What if I fall in love with someone else daddy?” I whisper thinking of mine and Zane’s doomed relationship.

 “Like I said, we have to give up the things we love even if it feels like you will die without it. I wouldn’t take you away from something that would be good for you in the long run.” My father says taking two steps back reaching his hand out for the doorknob. “We should get going onto the next place, your brother probably already peed himself.” My father chuckles opening the door and walking out.

 I don’t move just yet taking in everything my father was telling me. I think about my secret relationship and only wish for the best. I want to be with Zane more than anyone else. If he could win my father over than there shouldn’t be a problem…well just one very big one. Our religion.

 I shut the light off in the closet and head out with the boys to our next destination.

 “So this apartment is a two bedroom, has two full baths, polished kitchen, family room, and study. I also think the young lady will enjoy the closet space as well. The only downfall is that it is about a twenty-minute drive from your father’s house. Ten minutes from the office building.” The relator says opening the door to a very impressive apartment. I already was sold just from the hearing about it.