{21} At The End of the Day, You're Dead To Me Anyway

"It felt as if I were locked in a prison cell." Rachel groaned, "No computer, no phone, no outside. They were literally holding me prisoner."

I sipped at my latte, meeting Rachel's soft green eyes. "Sweetheart, you kind of brought it on yourself."

She huffed and leaned back against the booth, arms crossed.

"I know, I know. You were right." she responded. "And I never got to thank you for taking me home, so thanks. I don't know what I'd do without you."

I smiled, stretching my arm across the table, grasping her hand with a nod. "That's what best friends are for."

Rachel grinned and waved the waitress over to refill her coffee, her blonde curls bouncing with every word. I felt my phone vibrate against my leg halfway through Rach's order of nachos and quickly pulled it from my purse.

It was another text from Damon, one of over ten he'd sent this morning. After dropping me off at home, I'd turned my phone off and gotten a little more sleep before heading out to spend the day with Rachel. My mind was still trying to process everything I'd witnessed and heard last night. Damon was the last person I wanted to talk to.

"Enough about me." Rachel turned her attention back to me. "What's been going on with you?"

I forced a smile and set my phone back in my purse. "Nothing new. It's literally been a week, Rach."

"And you've literally been hanging out with Damon Fox, your life can't be that uninteresting." she rubbed her hands together maniacally, "How'd you almost kill him this time?"

I laughed without emotion.

"How long did it take you to come up with that one?" I joked.

"Tell me." she pouted. "Have you kissed him?"

I turned my head quickly to hide any emotions that would give me away. Sadly, it wasn't quick enough. Rachel started laughing, leaning over the table.

"You have to tell me everything!" she exclaimed.

I stared at her for a long moment, feeling guilt setting in before any words left my mouth. I could only tell her what happened to a certain extant, anything after that would be a lie. I was about to lie to my best friend to protect Damon.

What's happening to me?

*

To believe the mall would act as a safe haven from Damon probably wasn't the best idea. Rachel dragged me in and out of every store without a care in the world, oblivious to the fact I was constantly looking over my shoulder.

I ended up leaving Rachel to shop a bit more and headed for the food court to find something to drink. I had slowed to a stop at the McDonalds when I felt someone fall into step beside me.

"Da-" the words died in my mouth when I glanced beside me.

The person who had stepped into the line beside me wasn't Damon.

He had a good few feet and years on him, and looked as if he'd been using for years. His hands twitched at his sides, pale lips as ashen and bloody as the marks on his cheeks. His clothes even appeared to be close to rags.

"What was that?" their was a slight rasp in his voice.

"I. . . I thought you were someone else. Sorry." I moved forward with the line, hoping he'd stay behind or wander off. Instead, he stayed beside me, a smirk playing on his lips.