♥-chapter thirteen-♥

The few weeks that followed were frustrating for both Harry and me. Only able to sneak a few alone moments at school, we could never just be together. We had to careful not to be labelled a couple by the other students in case the word got out to whoever was after Harry's family. This only led to guilt, since I had to lie to my closest friends about what was going on. And there was still Harry's premonition to worry about - he was angry because he couldn't stick to my side to keep me safe, and I was getting jumpy any time I was out after dark. The whole situation added up to stress for us both. Too threats too many.

'Something happen between you and Harry, Ken?' asked Lisa one afternoon as we helped decorate the form room for Hallowe'en.

I hung a row of punpkin lights over the whiteboard. 'No.'

'You seemed on the point of something until he gave you that black eye. Was there more to that then you said?'

Yeah, just a bit, but I couldn't tell anybody - strict orders from Harry and his family.

'Like what?' I asked.

She shrugged, looking uncomfortable. 'He didn't hit you or anything?'

'No!'

'Just that the Styles are a little strange. No-one really gets to know them. We talk about them, of course, but no-one from school's dated them that I've heard about. Who knows what secrets they're hiding up there?'

I decided to fight fire with fire. 'You mean like their mad granny locked in a celler? Or the voodoo dolls hanging by their necks over the corpses of their victims?'

She looked shamefaced now. 'Ken, I wasn't thinking that.'

'Look, Harry doesn't beat up his girlfriends.'

'So you are his girlfriend?'

Oops.

'Not really,' I said. A total lie. 'Just a friend.'

'Must admit I'm relieved to hear that.' Lisa stretched out some cobweb material over the notice board. 'Did you know David went round with him about what he did to you - that black eye.'

'He didn't!'

'Yeah, in the guys' changing room after basketball practice.'

'I told him it was my fault, not Harry's!'

'David has his protective streak a mile wide. You must have noticed. I think it's his version of his grandmother's desire to keep all tabs on us all.'

'Did anyone get hurt?'

'No. Coach broke it up and put them both in detention. Harry's on the watch list again for suspension.'

'I didn't want this.'

'What?' she asked. 'Boys fighting over you? You should be flattered.'

'They're idiots.'

'Yeah, they're boys. It goes with the terriotory.'

I crossed my fingers. 'Harry and me, we do like each other. But it's not going to go any further.'

At least not until we'd sorted out this death threat.

'All right. I believe you.' But I could tell she wasn't convinced. 'So you wanna come Trick-or-Treating with us?'

I frowned. 'Isn't that for little kids?'

'Doesn't stop us big ones having a party though, does it? We get dressed up, enjoy the show on the streets then go hang out back at someone's house. My mom said we can go to mine this year.'