deux

"So... I met someone."

At Medusa's words, Athena very ungracefully choked on her wine, leaving her coughing for the next couple of seconds. They were sat in their living room while waiting for Aphrodite to pick them up.

"Wait, really?" she croaked after recovering.

Medusa laughed. "I appreciate the encouragement," she replied sarcastically.

Athena cleared her throat. "No, I mean, you just don't really like people. You haven't exactly properly talked to anyone besides me and the other gods, ever since Lea."

Though the goddess could not see, Medusa rolled her eyes at the mention of her previous lover's name. She brushed off the once-painful memory, and quickly downed what was left of her beer. "I like some people. Most just happen to be terrible and annoying."

"You just hate it because everyone hits on you all the time. Which, might I add, anyone else would kill to experience."

Medusa hated the attention though. She knew it was always based on superficial reasons, primarily owing to her enviable looks so beautiful that even with her hair and eyes covered, men still worshipped the ground she walked on.

Medusa shrugged. "You say the same about everyone who hits on Aphrodite."

Athena frowned. At the mention of Aphrodite, the goddess looked visibly anxious, undoubtedly due to anticipation of seeing her millennia-old crush again. "That's because they are terrible and annoying."

"You're just jealous."

"No, I'm not."

Medusa chuckled. "Just go for her, Athena. You have nothing to lose. Plus, I'm certain she feels the same way. And remember this: if you two start dating, everyone else courting her would finally back off."

She opened her mouth, probably to argue some sort of irrational justification for her inability to ask out the love her life, but the wooden doors to their residence opened and the goddess of love walked into the room, filling the space with an intoxicating vanilla scent. Athena's eyes changed the moment they caught sight of Aphrodite with her entrancing beauty, and Medusa could not help but laugh at how hopelessly whipped her roommate was. Athena looked at Aphrodite like she was magic, and her tough facade came down so fast one could almost hear her walls crumbling to the floor.

"Drinking already?" Aphrodite asked as she approached the roommates, giving them kisses on their cheeks before sitting beside Athena on the sofa. Athena was evidently melting inside, which Medusa always found amusing given how intimidating and rough Athena always seemed on any other occasion without Aphrodite in the picture. 

Athena shifted in her seat and attempted to appear calm. "Medusa met someone," she said, successfully diverting Aphrodite's attention from her.

Aphrodite grinned at the announcement, showing off her perfect grin and consequently lighting up the entire room with her enthusiasm. The elegance and class in even her smallest movements was unparalleled. "Tell me everything," she exclaimed excitedly at Medusa.

And so Medusa did. What better person to ask about love advice, other than the goddess of love herself?

Medusa shyly narrated the afternoon's events, from how they met, how well they got along with their innocent flirting, to their departing when Medusa had to leave. She left out details on Jasmine's identity because at the moment she wanted her to be her little secret, away from the judgments and opinions of reality. Thankfully, the goddesses did not push the topic.