Chapter 1 - The Water

All Rights Reserved

Chapter 1 - The Water

Alexandria Doukas' POV

"Make sure you let loose tonight."

A wry smile crossed my face at my best friend who was glaring insistently at me. "Aren't you supposed to make sure that nothing gets out of control?" I asked dryly as I tugged at my hair a little self consciously as we walked along the pathway leading into a club.

"Pfft." Kat waved her hand dismissively as I trailed behind her a touch warily. "Who cares about that? I'm getting married in four months!" She levelled a stern expression towards me, "I don't care. You're to have fun tonight. It's my first bachelorette party."

At that, I rolled my eyes. "Kat, you planned four bachelorette parties."

"So?"

I sighed and shook my head, a smile forming on my face at the indignant look on my best friend's face. "Nothing. It's just I'm not that much of a partier. Especially at a club," I said deadpanned as Kat passed something to the bouncer with a wink who immediately let us in, much to the dismay of those who were queuing.

"Oh lighten up, Lex!" Kat whirled around and hooked an arm with mine, her brown eyes sparkling with excitement. "You're single!" She eyed my outfit critically, "You should've worn the skirt I laid out for you. You would definitely be hooked up with."

At that, I made a face before crossing my arms defensively. "I like my jeans."

Said skirt was about two inches below my arse and there was no way in hell I would wear something like that. It totally went against my conservative sensibilities. Instead, I stuck to my reliable jeans that I paired with a sparkly black top and some comfortable wedges.

Kat wrinkled her nose before tilting her head critically. "At least you still look hot," she smirked before tugging me in. Already, I could hear the loud music, the beat vibrating against the walls and inwardly, I accepted being the responsible one tonight.

I didn't mind being the responsible one, it was something I was familiar with, something that was in my comfort zone and I hardly stepped out of it. And that was the way I liked it.

"Lex," Kat started, her dark eyes firm, which was a far cry from her playful and carefree demeanour and I paused, knowing that whatever she wanted to say was serious and heartfelt.

"I'm glad that you've finally decided to move on," she began softly and I glanced away, not wanting to see the look of sympathy on her face. "I know that deciding to move on and actually doing so is quite different but you'll be able to do it. I know you will."

I pressed my lips together. Trevor Henderson was always a topic that I didn't appreciate coming up. The fact that I was twenty-four and still hung up on the guy despite him never acknowledging my existence still stung.

"I'm just incredibly happy for you that you've decided to move on," she smiled and squeezed my hands reassuringly.

Swallowing hard at that, I willed the ache in my heart to just go away for once. "Yeah," I whispered, eyes avoiding Kat's knowing ones before forcing a tight smile on my face.

"Enough about me," I tugged on Kat's elbow, leading her further into the club. "Tonight's about you, so let's go get you some drinks," I ordered sternly and Kat threw her head back and laughed.

Already, I could see appreciative glances thrown her way and once again, I was glad that my brother had found someone as amazing as her.

"Alright, drinks!" Kat cheered loudly before dragging me towards the bar.