Chapter XV

I slip into a pair of yoga pants and a shirt altered for my wings. My routine continues, a nightmare drawing me into another sleepless night. Despite Azriel's tiny explanation of the subject I had questioned, it was fairly clear to me and I was quite stressed. I slip out of the house silently.

The sky was peppered with bright stars, a radiant sight against the black canvas above me. It was a cool night but I wasn't left in discomfort. Perhaps it was due to the ice of the Winter Court that ran through my veins. I fly for hours as I always have, pushing myself to go higher and higher each day, tucking my wings in when I reach my desired distance.

I hear sound behind me. Flapping wings. Turning I find Derek behind me. He leaves a few feet between us, allowing us both enough room to stay airborne. There's a look of worry on his face.

"I was worried. When I woke up without you there with me..."

"I didn't want to wake you. I needed to think. Maybe forget. Forget it all for a few hours."

He scans my face for a moment. "Tuck your wings. Vanish them."

"Do you want me to fall to my death?"

"I'll catch you," he assures me. "Besides, you have plenty of time to bring them back out if you fall."

Realizing he's right, my wings are gone. I free fall for longer than I am comfortable with, letting out a shriek. Just before I start to bring them out again, I feel arms under my knees and shoulders. I glare at my mate and he responds with a clear laugh.

"I really hate you sometimes," I mutter, burying my face in his neck and gripping his t-shirt.

"Do you now?"

"No. Just all the stupid things you do."

His lips brush my ear. "You're about to hate me even more."

I gasp as his wings come around me. While I am shielded from the now biting wind, I panic again as we approach the ground at a rapid speed. They snap out again and our decent of the last ten yards was a smooth glide. We land just a few feet away from the ground and I loosen my grip on his shoulders.

"An Illyrian scared of flying?" he asks, clearly amused even when he knew how often I flew.

"Only by different wings," I reply, wrapping my arms around his neck after my feet hit the ground. I bite my lip. "Are you still mad at me?"

"I'm irritated you hid it for so long," he says. "But I understand. I'm not mad at you." He pecks my lips. "No more secrets. Remember?"

I nod. He pulls me against him, kissing me gently. Hesitantly, I pull my arms back and brush my fingers along the edge of his wings. He shudders, pulling away from me. I look away from him.

"Sorry. I shouldn't have-"

"No. It's fine." An Illyrian's wings were everything. It was inappropriate for someone to touch another Illyrian's wings without their consent, specifically when it came to females. "You're my mate." He guides my hand back to his right wing. "I trust you."

I trail my middle finger over the outside again before moving to the membrane. His eyes close and he pulled me against him. I press my lips to his and he responds instantly, his hands slipping under my loose-fitting top. When he pulls back, breaking the kiss, I rest my head on his chest, slipping my hands under his shirt to rest on his stomach.

He kisses my hair. "We can't have people seeing this."

He tucks his wings back and they disappear. While it was just past four o'clock and the moon still only cast a dim glow, the cloak of the night wouldn't hide a sight like that to early risers. I jump as his finger drags up my spine. He laughs again.

"I hate you," I say for the second time that night-well, morning.

"It's not my fault you're ticklish," he replies, kissing my neck. "What's going on with my sister? There's something more than this Rising business."

"It's her secret. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but a few kisses aren't going to get me to spill. I'm not so easily manipulated."

"Shame," he mumbles. "Thought I had a bit more luck than that."

"Don't go asking her. If she wants to talk about, she'll bring it up. If it never comes up again..."

"Fine." I give him a look. "I promise." I shiver as a gust of wind passes us. He frowns. "Let's sneak back inside before you freeze."

"I'm fine, worrywart," I argue.

"Whatever you say."

Just as the sky lightens we slip back inside, as silent as the morning breeze that had once again calmed.

Short chapter and not a great one. Sorry. I've already got ideas for the next one. It should be longer and better.