Cold night (Joel X Reader)

Joel squinted as (Y/N) walked next to him, He turned his attention to a building noticing that it was an abandoned church.  As (Y/N) walked next to him keeping to themself, the brooding silence was cut short as they heard yells and groans from the distance Joel and  (Y/N) were approaching,  (Y/N) kept walking forward before letting their attention move to see Joel tense up "Runners or either Stakers-" he spoke quickly with a stern tone

Joel instantly put his hand over his shoulder grabbing his hunting rifle before putting his arm out in front of (Y/N) as they crouched down as they both quickly and quietly hid behind something to figure out where the Stalkers/runners were at, Joel stood a bit taller as he moved forward telling (Y/N) to stay back and watch his back.

Joel tentatively walked forward as the soft click from re-loading his gun echo behind him as he looked back at  (Y/N) giving a small nod, He was quiet as he ran up behind the runner and wrapped his forearm around its neck holding tightly as they began to sink to the ground a stalker snuck up behind him, (Y/N) noticed this before running from the hiding place pulling out their pocket knife and plunged it into its neck as they pulled it back out blood spattered across their face and neck.

Joel pulled back as he felt the neck snap and it fell limp, He turned back noticing that (Y/N) had taken the one out and whistled lowly.  (Y/N) raised an eyebrow at him "What?" They questioned as he shrugged looking at them "Didn't think you had the guts, guess I was wrong" (Y/N) laughed "That's normal isn't it?" (Y/N) noticed his mouth twitch into a smiled and as fast it was there it was gone as soon, they sighed and thought maybe they imagined it "You got a little something on your face." (Y/N) rolled their eyes and sighed as he laughed softly to himself, (Y/N) moved a hand up and wiped at the blood on their face as it streaked across their cheek.

Joel decided to stop where they were and take advantage of the abandoned church, Both of them moved to clean out any possible infected before making it to the basement together. Using their flashlight (Y/N) noticed a door at the end of the hallway that seemed to be empty, Joel had moved to the side rooms to clean out and find supplies.

(Y/N) perked up as they noticed the room seemed to be completely untouched, Joel made his way in behind (Y/N) to make sure the door was locked and had (Y/N) help him move a old pop machine in front of the door.

(Y/N) turned and gasped softly, Joel was quick to see what the problem was and when he saw  (Y/N) found the couches and had moved to sit on it letting their body lean into the softness, he let out a deep chuckle that made a warm rise up into your chest. His laugh made you smile, (Y/N) wished he would laugh more often, He moved towards them to sit but made (Y/N) move over so he didn't end sitting on them,  (Y/N) moved quickly watching him remove his backpack and set it in front of himself as he let himself sit down.

Joel sighed at the comfort of the couch, (Y/N) realized how cold it was in the room and looked around to see an old wooden table they got up and looked around finding some old candles. (Y/N) decided to light them but before you could Joel stopped you "If you want to get warm we need to start a fire and not set up mood lighting." (Y/N) nodded and looked around deciding to move the table saw it was already broken, they moved their foot up and stepped down to break it.

One of the legs broke and (Y/N) sighed, Joel was up off the couch at this point moving to work on pulling it apart to get some wood to start the fire a bit quicker setting it on the ground as he continued to tear it apart.

Joel furrowed his eyebrows as he began to set up the fire, (Y/N) looked around for old fabric and flammable objects before putting them underneath the stack of wood and struck a match and kneeled down throwing it in the middle of it all.

As it lit eventually letting the area near the fire warm up slightly but because of how cold it was outside the fire had difficulty staying lit, (Y/N) let out a disappointed sigh, Joel shrugged moving back over to the couch as he watched as the flame slowly start to die out. It eventually went out all the way, (Y/N) leaned into the couch and felt their body start to shake from the cold groaning "Fuck it's cold" Joel looked at them "It's not that bad"  (Y/N) looked at him like he was insane as he rolled his eyes they realized that the man next to you was just a human heater as they felt the heat slightly radiate from him  they did their best to move closer to him but not so much that it would alarm him.

(Y/N) moved closer and Joel didn't react what so ever, he sighed as you watched his breath swirl through the air you ended up closer than intended feeling his body shift as he looked at them, (Y/N) froze in place looking him in the eyes as you realized you'd been staring they noticed he had hazel eyes. (Y/N) coughed awkwardly and felt heat on their face and felt the rest of their body started to warm up as well, Joel raised an eyebrow and thought it was because of the cold before he moved his arm around them and sighed "Can't have you turn into a human popsicle for the infected"

(Y/N) laughed quietly and happily shifted closer to him feeling themself slowly start to warm up as they looked up to see Joel looking down at them before quickly looking away quickly they coughed once again, Joel chuckled when he noticed the flush over the others face before noting that (Y/N) had began to breath a bit slower after awhile.

(Y/N) fell asleep snuggling into Joel's side more if even possible, Joel looked down and noticed they fell asleep as he decided he might as well try to get some rest as well and leaned his head on top of (Y/N) and began to fall asleep with a soft smile on his face.