𝟐|the girl

✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧

✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦

✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦

The voices continued from outside the Box, all of the boys giving their opinion on their latest arrival.

"How old is he?" 

"Looks like a klunk in a T-shirt."

"You're the klunk, shuck-face."

"Dude, it smells like feet down there!"

"Hope you enjoyed the one-way trip, Greenie."

"Ain't no ticket back, bro."

Is this how they greeted all of the new Subjects? Gaia had never really witnessed an Arrival before. Since she knew most of them before the Maze, she didn't want to have to see the confusion on their faces when they woke up with no memories - it would have been too much.

Plus, after seeing what had happened to Rosie in Maze B, Gaia just couldn't bring herself to watch the monitors anymore. She only ever turned them on to gather the data that she needed, before immediately switching them off when she was done.

Shadows were cast on the platform from the boys leaning over the edge, trying to get a good look at the 'Greenie'. The boy just stood there, looking up at them all, while she remained in her dark corner. One of the boys lowered a rope down to their latest 'Greenie', the end tied in a knot to allow him to be pulled up easier.

He gave a small glance over his shoulder at the girl but she stayed put. When he saw that she didn't make a move to go with him, he grabbed onto the rope and allowed himself to be lifted roughly out of the Box.

"He looks like a Slopper to me," somebody laughed once he was on the ground.

"I could use some help in the kitchen," another joked.

A soft breeze made its way into the Box as Gaia continued to stay curled up in her corner. She could hear laughter and mocking coming from above, none of them knowing that she was there yet. What would they do when they found out? Banish her? Lock her up?

Suddenly there were the sounds of shouting and hollering as someone yelled, "Hey, we got a runner!"

Multiple other boys laughed and cheered the boy on. There was then the sound of them all reacting to him falling, laughing at their lauding addition.

As they continued to talk, Gaia tried to find a way to climb out of the Box without alerting any of the boys. With them surrounding it, however, she doubted that would be a possibility.

Thankfully, the sun was at an angle where the whole Box wasn't bathed in light, the boy's shadows giving her the shade that she needed to stay out of sight. She chose the darkest corner, but didn't think that they'd notice her anyway; they were only expecting one new Subject, after all.