ONE

The Introduction

The Introduction

Aris sat alone in a room that was meant to house at least 10 others. He glanced at the empty beds around him. All of his friends have already been taken to the safe haven. Well, all of the friends that survived the Group B Maze Trials. After being sent up in a rusty box to trigger the ending, Aris was one of the many that have survived the maze trials. He was then rescued by a group who has yet to state the name of their organization, where Aris met the other survivors. Some were in a maze that was all girls like his, all boys, or a mixture of both. Apparently there was still one group who still hasn't solved the maze yet. Group A. But he had his suspicions they would soon. He also had his suspicions about the organization who "saved" them from WICKED.

Ah WICKED. The World In Catastrophe Killzone Experiment Department. They're the ones who designed the maze trials. The ones who swiped the memories of teenagers who were immune to a virus called The Flare and sent them up into the maze. Sending some of them up to their death. All in an effort to understand what makes them different. Aris had this feeling that everything he has received in the past few days, the new clothes, food, a proper bed, was all too good to be true.

Aris.

The boy jumped out of his thoughts at the sound of his name. The door to his room slowly opened with a deafening creak. With a shaky hand, Aris removed his blankets and cautiously put his shoes on, his eyes scanning the room for any danger. He stood slowly, his eyes finally settling on the now open door. He popped his head out of the door and looked at the empty hallway to his left. Then his right. "Hello?" He called out. His voice loud in the quiet hallway.

Shhhh. The voice whispered softly. Don't speak. Only think.

Aris then realized the voice was in his head.

Go to your left. The voice commanded. Aris hesitated. He didn't know if he could trust the mysterious voice or not. For all he knew, it could be leading him to his death. He looked over his shoulder at the empty room. He had nothing to lose. "Ah screw it..." he muttered before turning to his left and walking out into the hallway.

His shoes made a soft 'tap' noise as he walked down the hallway. Occasionally, he glanced over his shoulder for any signs of oncoming danger. When he reached an intersection, the voice guided him once again.

Right.

He continued to follow the instructions he was given for a couple of minutes. Aris tried to remember the way back to his room. Left, Right, Right, Straight, Left, Straight, Left. So engrossed in his thoughts, Aris didn't hear the heavy pounding of boots and deep voices to his immediate right.

Stop.

Aris' shoes squeaked against the tile floor, leaving a skid mark, as he forced his body to follow the command. The pounding of boots and voices stopped as well. Fear filled every single ounce of his body. He could hear his heart stuttering in his own ears. His throat became dry and his hands clammy. A vent down to his left quietly popped open.