The Train

Shoulder to shoulder with people I didn't know the names of. Crammed together like sardines in a tin. Strange smells filled the atmosphere and I felt the sticky sweat of an old man on my upper arm. Trying to keep my balance, I gripped onto the handrail and squeezed it tight, as if it could help with my discomfort. Two more stops. The torn, blue seats with brown stains of god-knows-what were nowhere to be seen. The sea of people engulfed the surroundings like a school of fish, making it difficult to see, move or focus on anything. People talking filled the silence with meaningless words that made no sense to me. Teenagers laughing, babies crying, businessmen selling deals.

"Next station, Sunnyvale" an automated voice announced over the loudspeaker. Getting closer. The train pulled to a slow stop and I was jolted to the left. The doors opened and new faces appeared, like a game of peek-a-boo. People rushed to exit the giant sea serpent at the same time more victims were consumed. Pushed around like a ball in a pinball machine. We started again. One more. White walls. Grey carpet. Yellow poles. Breathe. You can do this. The beads of sweat that formed on my forehead rolled down the side of my face, leaving a trail of cool moisture. I blew upward as an attempt to cool myself down but my humid breath only worsened the feeling.

Down the far end of the carriage, there was a young couple. The girl had her head rested upon the boy's shoulder. He stared out the window at the scenery, while she looked at him as if he was her whole world. Her gentle expression revealed true admiration and utter desire. He turned to her and gave her a heartwarming smile; one that could melt the coldest person's heart. The two of them sat hand in hand, seeming to fit together perfectly, like puzzle pieces. It's harder than it seems to find two fitting pieces in a 10,000 piece puzzle.

Outside, the broken, tainted buildings cried out for help and a family. Untouched for years, they craved the affection. Their hopes and dreams were shattered by the local thugs who mugged them of their contents, leaving them with no purpose. Crude jagen scribbled across the paved, brick exterior. Awful. People are awful.

The sweaty, old man next to me let out a huge belch and I tried not to roll my eyes back in disgust. The stench reeked of old sausage and onion.

I looked down at my phone. 4.17pm. An anxious sigh slipped past my lips.

"Nervous are we?" The old man questioned. I gave him a weary, half smile.

"Just a tad."

We pulled to another slow stop. This is it. A flood of nerves suddenly rushed through my veins. Breathe. I let out a long, shaky breath as I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself down. White walls. Grey carpet. Yellow poles. Breathe. You can do this. The doors opened and I found myself thrust into the cool, afternoon breeze. "I can do this."

I joined in with the pack of bodies that slowly veered towards the giant robot arms at the end of the platform. Beep. Beep. Beep. People went through the scanners one by one and slowly dispersed into their own separate timelines. Then there was me. Left alone.

Red Building. Look for the red building. I followed the directions from google maps as I navigated around the busy Henderson streets. Thumping music filled my eardrums, flooding my body with unnecessary adrenaline. Cars shot past me like an array of multicoloured bullets. Green. Silver. Red. Black. The grimy streets reeked of pollution and human indecency. To my left there was a man with a sign that read 'Spare change or food. God bless.' His torn green sweatshirt was coated in dirt and blood, he didn't have the privilege of a hot shower like I did. His hair long, matted and greasy. I reached down into the depths of my jean pockets and pulled out a $2 coin. I threw the shiny metal object into his shabby beanie.

"Thank you, girl." He kindly nodded as I responded with a small smile.

My feet found themselves wandering to the beat of the music. One foot after the other I created distance between me and the man, purposefully striving towards my destination. I checked my phone. 4:23pm. 7 minutes to go. I pushed the button at the crossing and waited anxiously for the little green man to let me cross. Seconds seemed to pass like minutes as I repeatedly slammed the button in hopes of crossing sooner. Finally I got given the all clear and rushed across the street, with no time to check for the occasional idiot driver. Red. Black. Silver. Green. Almost there. My feet seemed to have gained control of the speed to which they were moving, leaving me numb and senseless. The slippery ground added worries to my already sky high list.

"Red building. This is it." I muttered to myself. The red building was a skyscraper next to my small frame. Industrial windows and shapes gave the exterior a cold impression. I walked through the automatic glass sliding doors and gazed in awe and the contemporary ambience. Bright orange sofas hard against an even brighter plum wall, pristine grey carpets with not a crumb in sight. Despite the satisfying appearance, it still felt empty and unloved. The long marble counter sat quietly in the corner of the room, I decided to give it some company. "Hi there, I have a 4.30 appointment for Sophia Johnson."

"Sure thing sweetie, the nurse won't be long. Take a seat." I walked over to the orange sofa and sunk down into the plush cushions. My short legs dangled off the side and I swung them back and forth like a children's swing set. Posters were sparsely scattered across the walls in an organised pattern. Know your rights, rubber essentials, fight HIV. I looked down at my fingers. The pastel pink colour I got for ball was almost nonexistent apart from a few specks which I attempted to scrape off. A nurse walked into the room and my head shot up. Purple walls, orange couch, grey floor. I can do this.

"Sophia Johnson?"