Chapter 12

'Kai? What are you doing here?', I ask, shocked. He doesn't know about our past. All he knows is that I own a pirate's sword and I was leaving today. 'I want to come with you', Kai begins. 'I long for adventure. All my life I have been stuck here on this island, learning but not living'. He steps forward and touches me lightly on the arm. 'You seem like a girl who knows adventure, and I want to join you', Kai says softly, his voice luring me in. I sigh softly before I answer, 'If the fishermen agree, you can come'. Kai grins that cheeky way he does and hugs me, before wandering off to talk to the fisherman. I feel Asher's arms encircle me from behind. 'I don't like this', he whispers against my ear, his breath tickling it. 'I know', I whisper back, 'but I doubt we could convince him otherwise'. He releases me and takes my hand. Together we walk up the board and onto the small ship.

Kai seems to have convinced the fisherman to let him join our journey, and soon we are back on the seas. I walk to the bow of the ship and place my hands on the side rails. I take a deep breath of the salty sea breeze. It smells like home. I'm not surprised at this, having spent most of my life at sea. Standing here with the breeze running through my hair gives me time to think. I reach a hand up and run it through my hair. It's grown since my time on the ship. Instead of being cut short and near to my scalp, it reaches the tops of my shoulders. Soon I hope it will be back to the mid back length that I used to have it at. I turn around and see Asher walking by carrying a bucket, filled or empty I am not sure. 'Asher', I call out and he turns towards me. Placing the bucket down, he walks over to me. 'What is it Sierra?' he asks tenderly and takes my hand. I smile before telling him what has been playing on my mind. 'I think we should tell Kai about our past' I say tentatively. Asher opens his mouth, but I cut him off by continuing, 'If he is going to come on this journey with us, he needs to know what he is getting himself into. He could be of real help to us, his fighting skill still bests both of us'. I pause and watch for Asher's reaction. His eyes are set in a slight frown, forming a crease between his eyebrows. 'I don't like him tagging along, he says bluntly, 'its always been you and me. Tell him about your past if you wish, but not mine'. Asher pulls away from me and go back to his task, leaving me to ponder my thoughts.

Later that day, Asher and I are repairing some of the fishermen's nets while Kai helps them to haul in another catch. Weaving the nets with some spare rope, my hands continually keep brushing against Asher's hands. I smile every time, his warm skin a familiar comfort. 'Ash, I'm going to tell him', I whisper, hoping my voice isn't caught in the breeze. Asher nods and we resume our work in silence.

I haul my body below deck, ready to sleep for the night. There is a small room next to the kitchen that the fishermen have allowed us to stay in. I'm glad we have this room, even if it is small. Being the only girl on the ship isn't easy. I enter into the darkness and trip over something. I hear an 'ouch' from in the darkness. 'Sorry', I whisper, 'Is that you Ash?'. 'Yeah its me Si', I hear him whisper back. Feeling my way through the darkness I lay down next to Asher, my head on his chest. This is where I belong, this is where I feel safe. I hear Asher say something, but my eyes droop closed and I mumble back an incoherent response. I feel his chest vibrate as he chuckles and feel his hand brush my hair back from my face. I smile before falling into a dreamless sleep.

I pace back and forth along the deck of the ship. I know Kai is at the bow of the boat, and I don't know how to approach him. I sigh softly and walk to the bow of the ship. Just tell him Sierra I think to myself. 'Kai', I call out. He turns to me and smiles. Why does he have to smile like that every time he sees me? I hesitantly walk towards him and indicate that we should sit on the deck. He follows my lead and soon he is sitting opposite me. 'How are you Sera?', he asks, 'What did you need?'. I take a deep breath, 'Kai, I think it's time I told you about my past'.

'When I was 12 there was a terrible storm one night. The pirates used it as their cover and I was kidnapped'. Kai opens his mouth to interrupt but I place my finger to his lips. 'Please don't', I strain, 'this is already hard enough for me'. He nods and takes my hand, squeezing it to let me know I can continue. 'For 5 years I served as a slave on that ship. It was a horrible experience, we were tortured when we messed up, most kids didn't survive the first year. Some were killed, others chose to jump, it was just terrible'. I single tear falls from my eyes, and I wipe it away before Kai can. 'about 2 and a half months ago, Asher and I escaped and returned to my home island. I found my mother, and she told me that my brother had also been taken by pirates. Now I am going to search for him, wherever he may be'. I fall silent and wait for Kai to speak. 'You are so brave', he whispers, and I look up to see a look of adoration on his face. He places a hand on my cheek and strokes his thumb over my skin. He brings his other hand to my face and pulls me close. His lips touch mine and he kisses me with such emotion. Pain, fury, sorrow, happiness, I don't know which. Maybe it's a combination of all of them. He pulls away and whispers 'I'm so sorry that your life has been filled with so much pain and sorrow, I hope I can help you to find happiness in your life again'. He walks away, leaving me breathless and confused.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look at this awesome fan art by @Blue-B-Sigmund I love it, thanks so much!

Quick Authors Note: IMPORTANT

Hi everyone! I hope you are enjoying the story!! 

I am about to start back at uni again so my update schedule will be changed. I will only be able to post approximately every 2 weeks, most likely on Sundays. It may be longer, it may be shorter depending on my studies. I will try to keep you posted.

Happy Reading :)